Ulcers and the colon: keep an open mind
- Endoscopic diagnosis of refractory ulcerative colitis. Hirata, I.; Murano, M. // Inflammopharmacology;Feb2007, Vol. 15 Issue 1, p22
To make the endoscopic characteristics and clinical appearance of refractory ulcerative colitis (UC) clear, we studied the frequency and location of refractory lesions of severe UC patients. The subjects were a total of 68 patients with severe UC. 41patients were identified with refractory UC,...
- Colon capsule endoscopy versus standard colonoscopy in assessing disease activity of ulcerative colitis: a prospective trial. Meister, T.; Heinzow, H. S.; Domagk, D.; Dortgolz, A.; Lenze, F.; Ross, M.; Domschke, W.; Lügering, A. // Techniques in Coloproctology;Dec2013, Vol. 17 Issue 6, p641
Background: The aim of our study was to compare colon capsule endoscopy (CCE) with standard colonoscopy (SC) in the assessment of mucosal disease activity and localization of inflammatory colonic mucosa in patients with known ulcerative colitis (UC). Methods: Thirteen symptomatic patients (8...
- Acute Abdomen Due to Perforation of Colon by Ingested Chicken Bone: Diagnosis and Endoscopic Treatment. Muñoz, Carmen; Mendarte, Usua; Sánchez, Araceli; Bujandra, Luis // American Journal of Gastroenterology;Oct1999, Vol. 94 Issue 10, p3069
Describes the case of a patient with perforation of colon after ingestion of chicken bone whose diagnosis and treatment was endoscopic. Medical history of the patient; Symptoms presented; Percentage of perforations caused by animal bones.
- Flexible sigmoidoscopy: A pictorial atlas. Bond, John H.; Levin, Theodore // Patient Care;9/30/2001, Vol. 35 Issue 18, p1
Provides information on flexible sigmoidoscopy. Role of endoscopy in colorectal screening; Procedure and technique in flexible sigmoiddoscopy; Details of the insertion of instrument; Discussion on the pathology of colon. INSET: Flexible sigmoidoscopy and allied health professionals.
- Capsule endoscopy demonstrated low sensitivity in detecting polyps, adenomas. Adams, Stacey L.; Harris, Jason; Haigh, Christen // Hem/Onc Today;8/25/2009, Vol. 10 Issue 16, p18
The article deals with a study which compared the sensitivity and specificity of capsule endoscopy and optical colonoscopy in patients with known or suspected colonic disease.
- Colonic Lipomatosis. Yatto, Robert P.; Marshak, Richard H.; Lindner, Arthur E. // American Journal of Gastroenterology;Jun1982, Vol. 77 Issue 6, p436
Colonic lipomas are infrequently encountered in clinical practice. Diagnosis can be made by the characteristic radiolucency of the tumor, and by the cushion and tenting signs at endoscopy. Multiple lipomas may be seen in 10% of cases but lipomatosis has been rarely reported. A case of segmental...
- Sigmoidoscopy in Diagnosing Microscopic Colitis. Huffman, Grace Brooke // American Family Physician;10/1/2000, Vol. 62 Issue 7, p1643
Presents a study by C.A. Matteoni and others to determine if biopsies from the left colon could detect microscopic colitis, precluding the need for colonoscopy. Description of the study and its results; Conclusion that the results of the study support the concept that microscopic colitis...
- Inflammatory myoglandular polyp causing hematochezia. Hirasaki, Shoji; Okuda, Masato; Kudo, Kenichiro; Suzuki, Seiyuu; Shirakawa, Atsuko; East, James E. // World Journal of Gastroenterology;9/14/2008, Vol. 14 Issue 34, p5353
A case of inflammatory myoglandular polyp (IMGP) causing hematochezia is reported. The patient was a 33-year-old man who visited our hospital for further evaluation of hematochezia. Colonoscopy revealed a red, hard, spherical peduncular polyp with erosion and mucous exudation, about 20 mm in...
- Should barium enema be the next step following an incomplete colonoscopy? Kao, Kevin T.; Tam, Michael; Sekhon, Harpreet; Wijeratne, Ranjith; Haigh, Philip I.; Abbas, Maher A. // International Journal of Colorectal Disease;Nov2010, Vol. 25 Issue 11, p1353
Introduction: Double contrast barium enema (DCBE) is used to screen and diagnose colorectal disease and is often recommended following an incomplete colonoscopy. The purpose of this study was to determine the value of DCBE following an incomplete colonoscopy. Materials and methods: A...