Statins and postoperative delirium
- Risk factors for poor hip flexion after total hip arthroplasty for the treatment of ankylosing spondylitis a multivariate analysis. Zhang, Liang; Yang, Dejin; Yin, Xinghua; Zhou, Yixin // Clinical Rheumatology;Sep2014, Vol. 33 Issue 9, p1295
The purpose of this study is to investigate the clinical and radiographic results of total hip arthroplasty (THA) for the treatment of ankylosing spondylitis (AS) and to evaluate the effects of patient, prosthesis design, and surgical technique-related risk factors on postoperative functional...
- Statins May Decrease Surgery Recovery Time. // Clarendon Enterprise (TX);8/28/2014, Vol. 25 Issue 35, p5
The article reports on a medical finding, as of August 28, 2014, that people recovered faster after a heart surgery if they took a medication called statin prior to the surgery than if they did not take it.
- Pregnancy may be a risk factor for late-onset post-LASIK ectasia. Cimberle, Michela // Ocular Surgery News;8/10/2012, Vol. 30 Issue 15, p14
No abstract available.
- DRUGSCAN: GERIATRICS. Elliott, Rohan // Journal of Pharmacy Practice & Research;Jun2010, Vol. 40 Issue 2, p155
The article presents summary information on geriatrics from international medical literature. Topics include a study of the use of rosuvastatin for cardiovascular care in patients over 70, correlation of statin use with all-cause mortality in patients over 80, and the use of eszopiclone therapy...
- Small bites best for closing abdominal midline incisions. // British Journal of Hospital Medicine (17508460);Oct2015, Vol. 76 Issue 10, p563
The article discusses research on suture techniques for closure of incisions, citing the study "Small Bites Versus Large bites for Closure of Abdominal Midline Incisions (STITCH): A Double-Blind, Multicentre, Randomised Controlled Trial" by E. B. Deerenberg and others published in "Lancet" in 2015.
- A VeryWary Christmas. Scioscia, Paul J. // Jacksonville Magazine;Dec2012, Vol. 28 Issue 11, p57
The article offers author's insights on the dangers of cosmetic surgery. He states that there are practitioners who are not qualified to perform the procedures and patients suffer the consequences of such surgeries. He says that patients are easily convinced by advertising and less than proper...
- Conjunctival complications common after insertion of glaucoma valve. Ahem, Steve; Te, Nhu // Ocular Surgery News;5/25/2014, Vol. 32 Issue 10, p34
The article discusses a research study published in the 2014 issue of the "Journal of Glaucoma" which found that postoperative conjunctival complications are common after insertion of Ahmed glaucoma valve.
- 'Weekend effect' seen in paediatric surgery. // British Journal of Hospital Medicine (17508460);Aug2014, Vol. 75 Issue 8, p428
This article discusses research by S. D. Goldstein and colleagues on death and complication rates between children treated on weekends and those treated during the week, published in the July 2014 issue of the "Journal of Pediatric Surgery."
- Anesthetic course and complications that were encountered during endoscopic thyroidectomy. Lee, Su-Nam; Lee, Ji- Heui; Lee, Eun-Ju; Lee, Ji-Yeon; Kim, Jong-Il; Son, You-Bin // Korean Journal of Anesthesiology;Oct2012, Vol. 63 Issue 4, p363
Endoscopic thyroidectomy is gaining popularity, but it can increase the risk of certain complications. Carbon dioxide insufflation in the neck may cause adverse effects on hemodynamic and ventilatory aspects. We report the anesthetic course and complications that were encountered during...