- Speaking of biopsies. Cassidy, J. // Current Health 2;Dec87, Vol. 14 Issue 4, p24
Description of various biopsies--Excisional biopsy, needle biopsy, incisional biopsy, brush biopsy, and open biopsy. Microscopic samplings are examined--frozen section and permanent section.
- Fingertip diagnosis. // Current Health 2;Mar1993, Vol. 19 Issue 7, p2
Offers a way to diagnose Marfan syndrome by analyzing the shape of a person's fingernails. `Fingernail index' calculation; Danger of the disorder.
- Where does it hurt? // Current Health 1;Apr95, Vol. 18 Issue 8, p12
Focuses on diagnosing an illness. Signs of sickness; Importance of knowing the complaints of a patient; Description of how a patient feels.
- When to get a second opinon. Guiteras, G. Patrick // Executive Health's Good Health Report;Jan1993, Vol. 29 Issue 4, p3
Offers advice on when to get a second opinion. Problems that arise when patients go to a specialist without consulting their family practitioner; Receiving referral for a condition that is not responding well to treatment or if the diagnosis is uncertain; Patients who worry about offending...
- Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (NMR). // FDA Consumer;Sep84, Vol. 18 Issue 7, p16
It's a new imaging technology that allows doctors to peer inside the human body without using surgery or x-rays. It is stirring up excitement in the medical community. NMR uses radio waves and a super-strong magnet to draw out secrets from the very atoms of the body, producing...
- Fibromyalgia and Lyme disease: One often mistaken for the other. // HealthFacts;Oct92, Vol. 17 Issue 161, p1
Comments on a news release from the American College of Rheumatology which informs that many people seeking treatment for and being diagnosed with Lyme disease actually have an arthritis-like ailment called fibromyalgia. Two new studies showing the extent of misdiagnosis; Reasons why Lyme...
- Proof that bedside spleen assessment is accurate. Barkun, A.N.; Camus, M. // RN;Jan93, Vol. 56 Issue 1, p20
Compares the accuracy of percussion and palpation techniques against ultrasound imaging in the detection of an enlarged spleen, as cited from the American Journal of Medicine. Presentation of procedure for supine palpation.
- How to talk to your doctor about testing. Lipman, Marvin M. // Consumer Reports on Health;Jan97, Vol. 9 Issue 1, p11
Presents several tips on what question to ask a doctor before medical testing. Warning signs for overtesting; Chances that the test will find something wrong; Effects of the test on treatment; Reliability of the test.
- Where your head aches... Wolf, M. // Redbook;Jul89, Vol. 173 Issue 3, p94
Lists 27 different kinds of headaches. Includes symptoms, causes, prevention and treatment. INSET: Medication alert..
- Medical tests you should think twice about. Herman, Robin // Redbook;Nov93, Vol. 182 Issue 1, p118
Provides information on some medical tests. Preparation for such tests; Risk groups for the diseases tested; Interpretation and duration of tests; Accuracy; Pap smear; Herpes; Chlamydia; AIDS; Alpha-fetoprotein; Amniocentesis; Chorionic villus sampling.