- Battling the Orange Monster. Kiester, Jr., Edwin // Smithsonian;Jul2000, Vol. 31 Issue 4, p32
Reports on the fire fighting practices of the Shasta-Trinity unit of the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection (CDF) in Redding. Details of the techniques they used to fight a fire in Northern California from August to October of 1999; Problems they faced in trying to fight the...
- Generating beta random rate variables from probabilistic estimates of fireline production times. Gilless, J. Keith; Fried, Jeremy S. // Annals of Operations Research;2000, Vol. 95 Issue 1-4, p205
An extension of probabilistic PERT/CPM is proposed as a framework for soliciting expert opinion to characterize random variables for stochastic treatment in simulation models. By eliciting minimum, modal, ninetieth percentile, and maximum estimates, the distribution of variables with probability...
- Maintained Assets. Mecham, Michael // Aviation Week & Space Technology;11/17/2003, Vol. 159 Issue 20, p63
The article discusses that California focuses on aircraft with the size and flexibility for rapid-response firefighting strategy. A dry climate and a large population increasingly extending its lifestyle into wildlands makes California ground zero for fires racing through timber, brush and...
- Colorado Is Burning. Bramlet, Christina // Claims;Jul2012, Vol. 60 Issue 7, p8
The article looks at the wildfires that have ravaged the states of New Mexico (NM) and Colorado in May and June 2012, respectively. In Colorado, among the obstacles experienced by firefighters include strong winds and meteors. Neighbor states, including Wyoming and Canada, have diverted...
- Fighting Fires. Mecham, Michael // Aviation Week & Space Technology;1/17/2011, Vol. 173 Issue 3, p45
The article discusses an agreement reached between the California Forestry and Fire Department (Calfire) and the U.S. National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) that will provide for NASA imaging of the front lines of wildfires in time for the late-summer 2011 wildfire season in...
- HOTSHOTS BY THE NUMBERS. // Scholastic News -- Edition 4;9/1/2014, Vol. 77 Issue 1, p5
The article presents statistics related to hotshot firefighters such as the maximum temperature of flames that hotshots putout during wildfires, the weight of their backpack that contains first-aid kit, food, and water, and the amount of water that hotshots drink while fighting wildfires.
- A Tinder-Dry State Is Put to the Torch. Moldofsky, Leora // Time International (South Pacific Edition);1/14/2002, Issue 1, p11
Discusses bushfires in New South Wales, Australia, which have killed animals and destroyed homes. Impact of the fires on pollution levels; Deployment of fire fighters; Evidence that a number of the fires were deliberately lit.
- Watching for Smoke And Rooting for Rain. Boock, Melanie // Newsweek;7/1/2002, Vol. 140 Issue 1, p12
Presents the perspective of the author in regard to living in Colorado amidst the extensive forest fires. How she deals with her firefighter husband's dangerous role in fighting the fires; Her views of the scene and based on her work in an emergency room; Impact on her ability to sleep.
- Europe Under Fire. Sparaco, Pierre; Nativi, Andy // Aviation Week & Space Technology;11/10/2003, Vol. 159 Issue 19, p62
Every five years wildfires affecting Mediterranean countries destroy an area equal to that of Belgium, according to a newly completed European Commission study. In France alone, nearly 150,000 acres of forests were destroyed by fires in less than eight weeks. Italy, Portugal and Greece were...