Category Review: The Religious Book Market
- Securing a Legacy, Paying the Bills. Nelson, Marcia Z. // Publishers Weekly;3/27/2006, Vol. 253 Issue 13, pS7
The article deals with the strategy of small publishers in the U.S. in publishing meditation books. Shambhala Publications in Boston, Massachusetts offers a variety of titles about the transformation of consciousness. The Golden Sufi Center in Inverness, California publishes the work of Sufi...
- AAP: Religious Books Continue Downward Spiral In November. // Book Publishing Report;1/24/2005, Vol. 30 Issue 3, p3
Focuses on the financial performance of religious books category in the book industry in the U.S. Increase in the sales of religious books; Gross sales for the category; Percentage of sales increase in paperback books.
- RBTE Expo Short on Booksellers. Garrett, Lynn; Tickle, Phyllis // Publishers Weekly;12/7/1998, Vol. 245 Issue 49, p14
Focuses on the outcome of the first Mid-year Religious Booksellers Trade Exhibit Expo held November 9-11, 1998. Decline in the number of stores that participated in the show; Venue of the show; Reasons cited for the poor attendance to the trade show.
- Free press Pumps Up Religion. Nelson, Marcia Z. // Publishers Weekly;2/17/2003, Vol. 250 Issue 7, p32
Reports that Free Press is tapping the U.S. market for religious book publishing as of February 17, 2003. Literary choices of the publisher for spring 2003; Genre of books that Free Press is planning to release in fall 2003.
- Double Options for Booksellers in Religion. Garrett, Lynn; Riess, Jana // Publishers Weekly;6/18/2001, Vol. 248 Issue 25, p50
Reports that many book exhibitors were pleased with the Religious Booksellers Trade Exhibit (RBTE) 2001 compared to the BookExpo America 2001. Comments from Katherine Pinard, manager of the Sacred Path Books & Art shop in Cleveland, Ohio, about RBTE; Comments from Paulist Press' John Thomas...
- One Picture Is Worth... Musleah, Rahel // Publishers Weekly;2001 Fall Announcements Issue, Vol. 248 Issue 33, p169
Reports on the growing popularity of religious art books. Characteristics of religious art books buyers; Examples of books depicting saints and angels; Book titles exploring the controversy surrounding the intersection of art and religion; Range of books on Tibetan art and religion. INSET: A...
- Making book on new crossover deals. Bearden, Michelle // Publishers Weekly;12/12/1994, Vol. 241 Issue 50, p26
Focuses on developments in the publication and marketing of books on religion in the United States. Partnerships between religion publishing and trade publishing; Random House's entry into inspirational publishing; Team effort by The New Press and Orbis Books; Secular moves by Zondervan;...
- Checking out ABA's expanded religion scene. Garrett, Lynn // Publishers Weekly;5/27/1996, Vol. 243 Issue 22, p36
Declares that the creation of the Religious/Spirituality/Inspirational section (RSI) in 1995 was a milestone for religion at the American Booksellers Convention (ABA). More than doubling of the RSI area in 1996; Remarks by Barri York Pavlik, head of religion sales for Reed's Association...
- 'Seeker' Sales Boom at Northstone . Toller, Carol // Quill & Quire;Dec96, Vol. 62 Issue 12, p20
Reports on the increase in Northstone Publishing's sales of spiritual reading material without explicit Christian content in Canada in 1996. Company's specialization in spiritually oriented titles in the self-help, family and philosophy categories; Number of titles released in 1996.