In Defense of Immortality
- Total internal reflection. Jones, Gwyneth // Nature;2/17/2000, Vol. 403 Issue 6771, p707
Provides insights on immortality and the future. Difference in perception of time by people over 600 years old; Study of deep sleep which was not intended to prolong life but to ameliorate dementia and confusion; Reason for stopping of clinical trials for drug treatment of memory impairment.
- From heaven to hell in six cultures. Estling, Ralph // New Scientist;8/24/91, Vol. 131 Issue 1783, p52
Examines afterlife possibilities. Hindu idea of merging into atman, the world soul; Christian notion of maintaining an individual's own self-identity; Muslim idea of heaven; Jews' invention of their own hell the gehenna; Greeks' views on immortality; American Indian idea of going to the Great...
- Classic Humanist. // Humanist;Sep/Oct2013, Vol. 73 Issue 5, p10
An excerpt is presented from the article "Reflections of a Humanist," written by Corliss Lamont and published in the September/October 1988 issue, in which he discusses immortality, premature death as an evil, and his doubts about whether an afterlife exists.
- Introduction. Fischer, John; Mitchell-Yellin, Benjamin // Journal of Ethics;Dec2015, Vol. 19 Issue 3/4, p231
The article introduces papers from research conducted under the Immortality Project with topics including the role of civic immortality in supporting healthy democracies, issues related to religious doctrines concerning the afterlife and the meaning and value of an immortal life.
- Belief in the Afterlife, Death Anxiety, and Life Satisfaction of Buddhists and Christians in Thailand: Comparisons Between Different Religiosity. Chaiwutikornwanich, Apitchaya // Social Indicators Research;Dec2015, Vol. 124 Issue 3, p1015
This research studied belief in the afterlife, death anxiety, and life satisfaction, of Buddhists and Christians in Thailand. The aim of this research was to compare the variables of interest between high and low religiosity within their religion. There were two studies of 800 participants....
- Stranger in Paradise. Macy, Gary // National Catholic Reporter;2/16/2004, Vol. 40 Issue 16, p18
Delves into the issue of whether or not non-Christians will go to heaven. Discovery of a passage from the Divine Comedy of Dante wherein several non-Christians were crowned in glory; Statement of these people towards Jesus Christ; Importance of retraining yourself from judging or criticizing...
- THE FUTURE OF THE HUMAN SPECIES. Waters, Brent // Ethics & Medicine: An International Journal of Bioethics;Fall2009, Vol. 25 Issue 3, p165
The article explores the creation of posthuman future. The author states that some visionaries foretell a day when endless lives may be attained with the help of artificial intelligence and robotics. The author says that the process of uploading and downloading a person's personality into...
- Dev reveals WHAT HAPPENS WHEN SOMEONE PASSES. // Woman's Day (Australia Edition);8/27/2007, Vol. 59 Issue 35, p117
The author offers her interpretation on what happens when someone passes--what it feels like, what they go through, and whether there is someone waiting for them. She claims that from her connection with the other side, when a person passes they are usually greeted by someone--either their...
- The Decision for Deathâ€¦and Life. Toohey, William // America;12/11/1976, Vol. 135 Issue 19, p422
The author reflects on death. He notes that people do not like to talk about death and have been finding ways to ease its impact on them such as living life to the hilt and taking their own lives themselves or suicide. He cites several forms of death that people experience prior to physical...