- The price of despair. Baker, James // Employers Law;Apr2003, p18
Discusses the ruling of the British Court of Appeals on the discrimination case Vento versus Chief Constable of West Yorkshire Police. Facts of the case; Principles in pitching an award; Things that employers can do to protect employees from discrimination and protect themselves from claims. ...
- Can an Employee Use Title VII of the Civil Rights Act to Sue a Company for Discriminatory Salary Decisions Occurring Outside the Charge-Filing Period?: CON. // Supreme Court Debates;Oct2007, Vol. 10 Issue 7, p30
An excerpt from the Amicus Curiae Brief for the Respondent as submitted to the U.S. Supreme Court on October 23, 2006, on whether an employee can use the U.S. Title VII of the Civil Rights Act to sue a company for discriminatory salary decisions occurring outside the charge-filing period, is...
- Practical Aspects of Fair Employment Litigation. Scott, Joseph B. // Public Personnel Management;Nov/Dec77, Vol. 6 Issue 6, p398
Focuses on the practical aspects of fair employment litigation. Justification of shifting burden to the employer; Financial disruption on the part of the plaintiff; Fundamental notions of fairness and equality.
- AP BEATS DISCRIMINATION CLAIM. Walker, David // Photo District News;Dec2003, Vol. 23 Issue 12, p20
Reports the rejection of an age and religious discrimination claim filed by photographer Edwin Bailey against Associated Press by a federal court judge on September 26, 2003.
- Checklest extra. // People Management;3/11/1999, Vol. 5 Issue 5, p28
Provides information on cases of race discrimination in employment in Great Britain. London Borough of Lambeth versus D'Souza; Weathersfield Ltd. and Van and Truck Rentals versus Sargent.
- Shades of meaning. O'Brien, Christine // People Management;2/17/2000, Vol. 6 Issue 4, p27
Explores indirect sex discrimination claims of employees as in the case of Sykes versus JP Morgan. Arguments of Sykes, the claimant; Decision of the tribunal on the case; Reasons behind the tribunal's decision.
- Employees Gain Upper Hand In Discrimination Cases. Jackson, Liane // Corporate Legal Times;Sep2003, Vol. 13 Issue 142, p58
Reports on the lawsuit filed by Catharina Costa, an employee against her employer Caesars Palace for gender discrimination in the U.S. Role of plaintiff's gender in the employment decision of the court; Establishment of a discriminatory intent on the part of an employer; Details on the burden...
- Prevention is Best Defense. Rubenstein, David // Industry Week/IW;11/01/99, Vol. 248 Issue 20, p52
Discusses the importance of avoiding legal troubles and lawsuits against companies. Threats posed by product liability lawsuits against manufacturing industries; Role of legal departments in preventing lawsuits; Problems encountered by companies with employee discrimination suits; Other...
- Court Clarifies Sweeping California Employment Law. Jackson, Liane // Corporate Legal Times;May2003, Vol. 13 Issue 138, p56
Focuses on the ruling of the Supreme Court (SC) on the case 'Colmenares v. Braemar,' where the court has decided that disability claims requires a condition which substantially limits a major life activity. Facts of the case; Merits of the case; Contention of the plaintiff; Argument of the...