Economic forces are squeezing growth potential
- Contractors who expect a shortage of skilled construction... Thornton, Grant // Contractor Magazine;Dec95, Vol. 42 Issue 12, p1
Cites statistics on the contractors who expect a shortage of skilled construction. Tradespeople; Managers.
- Tale of the tape. Maginnis, John // New Orleans CityBusiness (1994 to 2008);04/06/98, Vol. 18 Issue 40, p15
Opinion. Discusses the lack of skilled workers in Louisiana, with reference to the debate over the proposed system of community and technical colleges that would match worker skills to job market demand. Views of the education boards and business groups concerning this issue; Comments made by...
- Manufacturing: Where to go for training help? Weiner, George // Material Handling Engineering;Nov97, Vol. 52 Issue 12, p28
Looks at the shortage of skilled labor in the United States during the 1990s. Important skills needed by factory workers; Options which companies can consider in trying to fill their employee needs; Need for the industry to swing its clout into the ongoing debate about education in the United...
- Skilled workers still hard to find. // American Nurseryman;09/01/96, Vol. 184 Issue 5, p14
Probes on the complaints of small business owners in finding qualified workers. Survey conducted on the issue; Findings of the survey.
- Workers in skilled trades are becoming scarce. // Countryside & Small Stock Journal;Sep/Oct98, Vol. 82 Issue 5, p92
Provides information on a survey in 1998 which shows labor shortages in skilled trades in the United States. Percentage of high school graduates who go on college; Cause of the labor shortage.
- ABC warned of union clout. Heselbarth, Rob // Contractor Magazine;Mar1998, Vol. 45 Issue 3, p1
Presents information on how open-shop contractors are scrambling to keep their workers in light of a skilled labour shortage. How the unions are dealing with the shortage; Reference to the Associated Builders and Contractors roundtable discussion on labour trends; Details on the use of the...
- Skilled craft shortages return. Krizan, William G. // ENR: Engineering News-Record;9/26/94, Vol. 233 Issue 13, p32
Reports on the return of shortage in skilled labor supply and rising cost of labor. Increase in levels of construction in U.S. markets; Overtime in jobsites; Training programs as coping strategy.
- Report warns of less skilled workforce after 2020. Keller, Bess // Education Week;04/23/97, Vol. 16 Issue 30, p5
Explains the warning in a Hudson Institute's report that the nation will have less skilled workforce after 2020 due to the effects of an aging population. Growing scarcity of workers who are prepared to make the most of accelerating technological change; Lack of younger workers to replace...
- Compulsory training levy back on ministers' agenda. Whitehead, Mark // People Management;02/25/99, Vol. 5 Issue 4, p11
Reports on the problem of the United Kingdom government over the shortage of skilled workers. Measures being considered by the government to deal with the labor shortage; Reactions of employers to the options being considered to solve the problem.