New Mexico governor may reject budget, but still supports bond plans
- Bond issuance for road repair given green light by New Mexico governor. Preston, Darrell // Bond Buyer;03/13/98, Vol. 323 Issue 30350, p30
Reports on New Mexico Governor Gary Johnson's approval of most major bond initiatives in the Legislature. Failure to resolve the state budget issue; Approval of a$3.1 billion general fund budget; Projects to be financed from the bond issues.
- New Mexico forges ahead on welfare. Tweedie, Jack // State Legislatures;May98, Vol. 24 Issue 5, p14
Details the efforts of New Mexico Legislature and Governor Gary Johnson to reform the state's welfare program. Information on PROGRESS, a welfare reform plan implemented by Johnson; Opposition of legislators and welfare recipients on the plan; Provisions of the New Mexico Work Act. INSET:...
- Golden Shoe Award. Coleman, Elaine Pinkerton; Burfoot, Amby // Runner's World;Jul98, Vol. 33 Issue 7, p18
Focuses on New Mexico Governor Gary Johnson's dedication to the sport of running. Description of Johnson's training program; Health benefits of running; Johnson's other sports interests; Johnson's selection as `Runner's World' magazine's Golden Shoe Award winner for July 1998.
- The governor caves in. // New Mexico Business Journal;Oct95, Vol. 19 Issue 10, p12
Reports on New Mexico Governor Gary Johnson's announcement on the formation of a business advisory council. Sherman McCorkle of Technology Ventures Corp. as chairman; Comments of the Association for Commerce and Industry against Johnson.
- Johnson angles for new schools chief. Schnaiberg, Lynn // Education Week;1/29/97, Vol. 16 Issue 18, p13
Reports on New Mexico Governor Gary E. Johnson's plans to overhaul the state education bureaucracy and bring education issues under his control.
- Johnson urges scrapping state board of education. Schnaiberg, Lynn // Education Week;1/25/95, Vol. 14 Issue 18, p9
Reports on the plans of Governor Gary E. Johnson of New Mexico to abolish the state board of education.
- The veto in New Mexico. Shearer, Kent // Enterprise/Salt Lake City;4/17/95, Vol. 24 Issue 42, p23
Comments on New Mexico Governor Gary Johnson's veto actions. Creation of the executive veto; Use of the veto by American presidents; Use of the gubernatorial veto by Utah governors.
- Prison privatization is the latest bid in New Mexico plan to free up funds. Preston, Darrell // Bond Buyer;09/09/97, Vol. 321 Issue 30226, p1
Reports on New Mexico Governor Gary Johnson's proposed privatization of the highest-security prisons in the state. Encouragement of private development of new prisons; Controversial aspects of the proposed prison privatization; Debate over prison finance and Medicaid reform in New Mexico; Strong...
- Profiles in candor I. // Governing;Mar97, Vol. 10 Issue 6, p13
Presents a comment made by New Mexico Governor Gary Johnson in 1997 on the economic success of the state.