Bill draws fire for removal of public investor protections
- NY Legislature Passes Bill Allowing CUs, Insurance Companies To Do Business. Blumenfeld, Matt // Credit Union Journal;7/5/2010, Vol. 14 Issue 27, p12
The article reports on the legislation that allows credit unions and insurance companies to conduct business, which reverses the ruling of the New York State Insurance Department that prevents insurance companies from investing in credit unions despite frequent deposit of cash into bank...
- Credit Unions Are Threatened Again With CRA Compliance. Roberts, Ed // Credit Union Journal;2/18/2008, Vol. 12 Issue 7, p1
The article speculates on the effects of proposals in the U.S. Congress to expand the reach of the Community Reinvestment Act (CRA) for thrift associations and banks. The proposals aim to require banks and thrifts to show concrete efforts to invest in low-income and inner-city communities....
- Proposed Corporate Rules Are a No-Go. Cooke, Sarah Snell // Credit Union Times;12/16/2009, Vol. 20 Issue 50, p14
The article offers the editor's view on the corporate credit union rule issued by the Credit Union National Association (NCUA) in November 2009 in the U.S. She believes that the investment restrictions along with capital requirements in the proposal will be the future problem of most corporate....
- 108th Congress' Agenda Is Crowded; Bankruptcy Back. Roberts, Ed // Credit Union Journal;1/13/2003, Vol. 7 Issue 2, p1
Reports on issues that are of importance to credit unions in the U.S. which will be discussed after the opening of the 108th Congress. Passage of a bankruptcy reform bill; Renewal of the federal flood insurance program that provides insurance on all loans secured by properties in a flood plain.
- Governor Signs Bill Updating Montana Act. // Credit Union Journal;4/14/2003, Vol. 7 Issue 15, p17
Reports that Governor Judy Martz has signed a bill updating the Credit Union Act in Montana.
- Washington Watch. Roberts, Ed // Credit Union Journal;7/7/2003, Vol. 7 Issue 27, p12
Reports on developments in regulations governing credit unions in Washington, D.C. as of July 7, 2003. Enactment of a risk-based capital system; Draft of regulatory relief bill for financial institutions; Reauthorization of exemptions from state laws in the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
- House of Representatives passes credit union membership access. // Hudson Valley Business Journal;04/13/98, Vol. 8 Issue 25, p6
Reports on the passage of the Credit Union Membership Access Act in the US House of Representatives in April 1998.
- Credit union backers float legislative compromise. Anason, Dean // American Banker;09/04/97, Vol. 162 Issue 170, p2
Highlights Representative Paul E. Kanjorski's call on the United States Congress to consider making large credit unions meet community reinvestment standards or pay taxes like banks. Credit union leaders' objection to common-bond bill amendment; Change in legislation that would let...
- Hearings on credit union bill a study in contrasts. // American Banker;05/04/98, Vol. 163 Issue 83, p4
Reports that votes on the credit union bill has showed differences between the Senate and House Banking committees. When the House Banking committee approved its credit union bill; Comments from Senator Richard Shelby; What issues were addressed at the House Banking meeting session.