TITLE

Effect of Bariatric Surgery on the Metabolic Syndrome: A Population-Based, Long-term Controlled Study

AUTHOR(S)
Batsis, John A.; Romero-Corral, Abel; Collazo-Clavell, Maria L.; Sarr, Michael G.; Somers, Virend K.; Lopez-Jimenez, Francisco
PUB. DATE
August 2008
SOURCE
Mayo Clinic Proceedings;Aug2008, Vol. 83 Issue 8, p897
SOURCE TYPE
Academic Journal
DOC. TYPE
Article
ABSTRACT
OBJECTIVE: To assess the effect of weight loss by bariatric surgery on the prevalence of the metabolic syndrome (MetS) and to examine predictors of MetS resolution. PATIENTS AND METHODS: We performed a population-based, retrospective study of patients evaluated for bariatric surgery between January 1, 1990, and December 31, 2003, who had MetS as defined by the American Heart Association/National Heart, Lung, and Blood institute (increased triglycerides, low high-density lipoprotein, Increased blood pressure, increased fasting glucose, and a measure of obesity). Of these patIents, 180 underwent Rouxen- Y gastric bypass, and 157 were assessed in a weight-reduction program but did not undergo surgery. We determined the change in MetS prevalence and used logistic regressIon models to deter. mine predictors of MetS resolution. Mean follow-up was 3.4 years. RESULTS: In the surgical group, all MetS components improved, and medication use decreased. Nonsurgical patients showed improvements in high-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels. After barlatric surgery, the number of patients with MetS decreased from 156 (87%) of 180 patients to 53 (29%); of the 157 nonsurgical patients, MetS prevalence decreased from 133 patients (85%) to 117 (75%). A relative risk reduction of 0.59 (95% confidence interval [Cl], 0.48-0.67; P<.OO1) was observed In patients who underwent barlatric surgery and had MetS at follow-up. The num- ber needed to treat with surgery to resolve I case of MetS was 2.1. Results were similar after excluding patients with diabetes or cardiovascular disease or after using diagnostic criteria other than body mass index for MetS. Significant predictors of MetS resolution Included a 5% loss in excess weight (odds ratIo, 1.26; 95% Cl, 1.19-1.34; P<.001) and diabetes mellitus (odds ratio, 0.32; 95% CI, 0.15-0.68; P=.003). CONCLUSION: Rouxen-Y gastric bypass induces considerable and persistent Improvement In MetS prevalence. Our results~suggest that reversibility of MetS depends more on the amount of excess weight lost than on other parameters.
ACCESSION #
33967213

 

Related Articles

  • Gastric bypass surgery in NASH: a major modulator of hepatic mitochondrial dysfunction. Baraille, Floriane; Guilmeau, Sandra; Postic, Catherine // Gut;Apr2015, Vol. 64 Issue 4, p524 

    The article focuses on a major modulator of hepatic mitochondrial dysfunction that is gastric bypass surgery in non-alcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH). It mentions that Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD), the hepatic counterpart of metabolic syndrome, has gained increasing recognition...

  • Long-Term Results of Gastric Bypass Surgery in Morbidly Obese Type 1 Diabetes Patients. Czupryniak, Leszek; Wiszniewski, Marcin; Szymański, Dariusz; Pawłowski, Maciej; Loba, Jerzy; Strzelczyk, Janusz // Obesity Surgery;Apr2010, Vol. 20 Issue 4, p506 

    Long-term effects of bariatric surgery in morbidly obese type 1 patients are unknown. Five to eight-year experience in the case series of type 1 diabetes subjects is presented. Three poorly controlled type 1 diabetes patients, aged 19, 23, and 28 underwent Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery. Their...

  • The Lap-Band system in the United States. Spivak, H.; Anwar, F.; Burton, S.; Guerrero, C.; Onn, A. // Surgical Endoscopy;Feb2004, Vol. 18 Issue 2, p198 

    Background: The LAP-BAND system is considered an important bariatric surgery procedure in many countries and is rapidly gaining acceptance in the United States. Outcomes data emerging in the United States parallel European and Australian experience. The purpose of this study was to examine our...

  • Reversible Gastric Restriction Implant: Safety and Efficacy in a Canine Model. Guo, Xiaomei; Zheng, Hai; Mattar, Samer; Lu, Xiao; Sandusky, George; Navia, Jose; Kassab, Ghassan // Obesity Surgery;Sep2011, Vol. 21 Issue 9, p1444 

    Background: Gastric restrictive procedures are considered effective weight loss treatment for severe obesity. The aim of the study was to evaluate the efficacy and safety of a reversible implant that renders a partial restriction of stomach in a canine model. Methods: The device was comprised of...

  • MEET THE GASTRICS. Sóuter, Ericka; Atlas, Darla // People; 

    The article reports on the Shelton family, who all has gastric banding surgery and lost a total of 479 pounds. Mother Kim says the family socialized by eating; now they revel in their successful weight loss. Vertical banded gastroplasty is a less invasive procedure than traditional gastric...

  • Use of weight loss treatments set to take off.  // PharmacoEconomics & Outcomes News;9/24/2005, Issue 487, p6 

    Discusses research being done on the use and costs of bariatric surgery and prescription weight-loss medications. Reference to a study conducted by W. E. Encinosa, D. M. Bernard, C. A. Steiner and C.C. Chen, published in the July-August 2005 issue of "Health Affairs"; Growth in the use of both...

  • Q&A.  // Woman's Day (Australia Edition);8/13/2007, Vol. 59 Issue 33, p77 

    The article presents questions and answers related to gastric band surgery. One reader asks whether gastric band surgery is really a long-term solution to weight loss. Studies have shown that surgical procedures are more effective than conventional management for weight loss. Another asks about...

  • Bariatric surgery in diabetes. Pinkowish, Mary Desmond // Patient Care;Dec2002, Vol. 36 Issue 14, p86 

    Provides information on research regarding the effects of bariatric surgery in patients with diabetes. Restrictive procedure which may reduce body weight and decrease food intake; Mortality rate of Roux-en-Y gastric bypass and biliary-pancreatic bypass; Means of controlling or curing diabetes.

  • The Bariatric Surgery Cure. Hobson, Katherine // U.S. News & World Report;4/21/2008, Vol. 144 Issue 11, p68 

    This article focuses on bariatric surgery as a way to alleviate type 2 diabetes. The article explains that gastric bypass surgery can reduce or cure type 2 diabetes by helping the patient to lose weight. The article chronicles the surgery, how it allows patients to lose weight, risks involved,...

Share

Read the Article

Courtesy of VIRGINIA BEACH PUBLIC LIBRARY AND SYSTEM

Sorry, but this item is not currently available from your library.

Try another library?
Sign out of this library

Other Topics