Good News/Bad News Out of Washington on Estate Tax Reform
- Clinton likely to veto inheritance tax relief. Pugh, Lori // Indianapolis Business Journal;07/24/2000, Vol. 21 Issue 19, p25
Reports that United States President Bill Clinton will likely veto a law repealing the federal inheritance tax. Sectors that support the repeal of inheritance taxes; Impact of the inheritance tax repeal law on small business owners and family-owned businesses.
- `Death tax' DOA in Rose Garden. Strupp // Editor & Publisher;09/25/99, Vol. 132 Issue 39, p5
Reports that advocates calling for the repeal of the inheritance tax vow to continue their battle despite President Bill Clinton's veto of a tax-cut package. Approval by the US House of Representatives and the US Senate of the entire tax-cut package; Levying of so-called death taxes on...
- Whatever happened to death and taxes? Summers, Nick // Newsweek;6/14/2010, Vol. 155 Issue 24, p52
The article discusses the federal estate tax in the U.S. Although zero for 2010, the estate-tax rate is set to jump to 55% in 2011 unless Congress acts. However, Congress has the right to make changes that would retroactively impose a tax for 2010. In 2009 the estate tax collected $23.4 billion....
- The Estate Tax: A Voluntary Tax? Wood, Arthur A. // Advisor Today;Nov2000, Vol. 95 Issue 11, p44
Comments on the proposed elimination of estate tax in the United States. Social impact of repealing the estate tax; Attitude of people toward estate tax.
- Estate Tax Repeal: Myths and Misunderstandings. Davenport, Charles // America;09/23/2000, Vol. 183 Issue 8, p15
Focuses on the efforts to repeal the estate tax in the United States. Myths about the estate tax; Complaints regarding the complexity of the tax code; Misunderstandings about the implications of the repeal of the estate tax.
- An election year guide to death and taxes. Klott, Gary // Las Vegas Business Press;07/10/2000, Vol. 17 Issue 27, p5
Focuses on the proposal to eliminate estate tax in the United States. Support for estate tax relief; Fears of middle class.
- Washington Hot Links. Boyd, Ben Harlan // National Public Accountant;Nov99, Vol. 44 Issue 9, p6
Focuses on the categories for transfer tax policy discussion in the United States. Revenue collection as a policy consideration; Incentives or neutrality of policies in support of transfer tax; Efficiency of transfer tax.
- A Quarter Century of Estate Tax Reforms. Joulfaian, David // National Tax Journal;Sep2000 Part 1, Vol. 53 Issue 3, p343
Focuses on a study that discussed the changes in estate tax reforms in the United States. Integration of the estate and gift taxes; Objectives of the estate tax reforms; Evolution of estate tax; Implications for taxpayer behavior and complexity.
- Nothing is certain but death and taxes. // State Legislatures;Apr99, Vol. 25 Issue 4, p4
Discusses that legislatures across the United States continue to decrease or eliminate state death taxes. Definition and application of death taxes; Illustration of the inheritance tax and the estate tax; Government policy on tax levying; Trend in state death taxes.