LUBY'S ENTERS NONCOMMERCIAL MARKET
- Luby's TV ads cut the mustard, go heavy on the wry. Ruggless, Ron // Nation's Restaurant News;12/5/94, Vol. 28 Issue 48, p12
Reports on the television advertising campaign for Luby's Cafeterias Inc. Use of wry humor; Creation of campaign by Anderson Advertising; Intention to create a more modern attitude about Luby's; Target audience; Lifestyles of cafeteria customers.
- Pappas Purchases a piece of Luby's. Ruggless, Ron // Nation's Restaurant News;01/08/2001, Vol. 35 Issue 2, p1
Reports that the principal owners of Pappas Restaurants Inc. in Houston, Texas, have bought a block of Luby's Inc. stock and are negotiating about taking a role in management of the cafeteria segment leader. Disclosure made by Luby's that brothers Harris and Chris Pappas were considering making...
- Luby's chairman disputes shareholder criticism of board. Ruggless, Ron // Nation's Restaurant News;11/12/2007, Vol. 41 Issue 45, p9
The article reports on the support by Luby's Inc. to defend its management and board of directors against a dissident shareholder's recent nomination of four candidates to the 10-seat board in the U.S. It stated that the dual roles of brothers Chris Pappas and Harris Pappas, as executive board...
- Luby's 3rd-Q earnings soar; same-store sales leap 6.5%. Spielberg, Susan // Nation's Restaurant News;6/20/2005, Vol. 39 Issue 25, p11
This article reports that Luby's Inc., operator of 133 cafeterias, primarily in Texas, credited menu and marketing maneuvers for a nearly tenfold increase in third-quarter earnings on a 6.5-percent jump in same-store sales. Luby's, also citing a decline in operating costs as a percentage of...
- Luby's Inc. reverses earnings erosion, cures debt default. Ruggless, Ron // Nation's Restaurant News;6/21/2004, Vol. 38 Issue 25, p8
Highlights the financial performance of San Antonio, Texas-based Luby's Inc. for the third quarter ended May 5, 2004. Income before discontinued operations; Net income; Earnings per share; Key factors contributing to the positive financial performance of the company.
- Luby's narrows 4th-Q loss with better food and labor costs. // Nation's Restaurant News;12/1/2003, Vol. 37 Issue 48, p12
Reports on the increasing sales of cafeteria operator Luby's Inc. in San Antonio, Texas. Reduction of labor costs; Development of business plan; Closure of underperforming stores.
- Luby's shareholder Ramius demands independent board. Ruggless, Ron // Nation's Restaurant News;10/29/2007, Vol. 41 Issue 43, p9
The article reports on the request of 7.1-percent stakeholder Ramius Capital Group LLC for Luby's Inc., operator of 128 namesake cafeterias to form a more independent board and to seek strategic alternatives for the company in the U.S. The company nominated four candidates for Luby's board of...
- Surviving Y3K. Romeo // Restaurant Business;12/15/99, Vol. 98 Issue 24, p6
Sums up the prime directive for running a restaurant, that of having a responsive staff that serves high-quality food in a comfortable setting at a reasonable price. Horror stories in food service; People as the reason for horrible lapses in service; Resolution to find, train and keep the best...
- Ten Things Your Restaurant Will Tell You. // Restaurant Hospitality;Apr2003, Vol. 87 Issue 4, p12
Discusses food services at restaurants. Rationale behind the extra charges for bringing a cake or a wine; Efforts of restaurants to ensure freshness of a food; Basis for the mark-up on all menu items.