Who Will Lead The Way?
- Licenses for `Internet in the sky' questioned. Rohde, David // Network World;12/08/97, Vol. 14 Issue 49, p36
Reports on the controversy concerning wireless licenses awarded to a new Internet access company, Teledesic Corporation, by wireless pioneer Craig McCaw and Microsoft Corporation chairman Bill Gates. Reference to House Commerce Committee Chairman Thomas Bliley's letter to Federal Communications...
- Bill and Craig's big idea. Kantrowitz, Barbara; McGinn, Daniel // Newsweek;4/4/1994, Vol. 123 Issue 14, p44
Discusses last week's announcement by Bill Gates (Microsoft) and Craig McCaw (McCaw Cellular Communications) of their plan to launch 840 small communications satellites by 2001 so virtually everyone can send and receive video and sophisticated data. Financing; Comment by James Moore of...
- Gates and McCaw blast off. Krantz, Michael // MediaWeek;3/28/94, Vol. 4 Issue 13, p12
Reports on the Teledesic Corp. venture of Microsoft Corp.'s Bill Gates and McCaw Cellular founder Craig McCaw. High-bandwidth satellite communication; Wireless telephony; Series of satellite projects; Iridium system from Motorola Inc.; DirecTV system from Hughes Electronics; Start-up costs;...
- Is Bill Gates getting too powerful? Castro, Janice; Jackson, Davis S. // Time;4/4/1994, Vol. 143 Issue 14, p67
Highlights the series of moves made last week by Microsoft founder Bill Gates, 38, that have treated his new rivals in telecommunications to a waking nightmare. Plans for Teledesic, a wireless global-communications network with Craig McCaw (cellular phones); Microsoft deal with Japan's Nippon...
- On Teledesic, monopolies, Star Wars, and 840 trial balloons. Valovic, Tom // Telecommunications - Americas Edition;May94, Vol. 28 Issue 5, p10
Opinion. Comments on the Teledesic global satellite telecommunications project planned by Bill Gates and Craig McCaw. Hype regarding the project; Question on the utility of the system; Costs issue.
- Teledesic untethered. Carroll, Kelly // Telephony;10/16/2000, Vol. 239 Issue 16, p32
Reports on the impact of the termination of the agreement between Teledesic and Motorola on the plans of Teledesic co-founders Craig McCaw and Bill Gates for the company. Speculations on the termination of the agreement; Information on the Iridium project; Details on the plans of Teledesic.
- Global ambitions. Faber, Scott // Discover;Jan1995, Vol. 16 Issue 1, p100
Reports on the partnership between Bill Gates and Craig McCaw to build an global telecommunications network using artificial satellites. Impediments to the project by Teledesic Corporation; Skepticism of industry observers.
- Gates CES keynote details wireless strategies. // RCR Wireless News;1/14/2002, Vol. 21 Issue 2, p15
Deals with the keynote address given by Bill Gates, chief software architect of Microsoft Corp., at the 2002 International Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, Nevada. Objective of the wireless strategies presented by the company; Features of the company's Windows CE .NET operating system;...
- McCaw's Touch Felt In Canadian License Auction. Careless, James // Wireless Week;11/15/99, Vol. 5 Issue 46, p23
Reports that Wispra Networks Inc. is the top bidder in Canada's 24 and 38 gigahertz spectrum auction as of November 15, 1999, thus making United States wireless pioneer Craig McCaw a possible major player in Canada. Explanation on McCaw's involvement with Wispra; Possibility that McCaw will...