Take Nothing for Granted
- What's better than a stairmaster? // World Watch;Jul/Aug98, Vol. 11 Issue 4, p42
Focuses on water shortages in agricultural areas of heavily populated countries, while highlighting the treadle pump, a method used by farmers to access water. How low-income farmers have been affected by the water shortage; Information on the treadle pump; Advantage of using this method; Cost...
- Design of a Pumping Main Considering Pipeline Failure. Swamee, Prabhata; Sharma, Ashok // Water Resources Management;Jan2013, Vol. 27 Issue 1, p199
Cost and reliability are two diametrically opposite objectives in a pumping main design as the objective of an uninterrupted supply of water will increase the system cost. In this investigation, a methodology for pumping main design is presented by considering the costs of pumping main and...
- Distributed temperature sensing aids global-warming studies. Kincade, Kathy // Laser Focus World;Dec2006, Vol. 42 Issue 12, p22
The article reports on the use of distributed temperature sensing (DTS) in studying water resources. John Selker, a professor of biological and ecological engineering at Oregon State University in Corvallis, Oregon, said that DTS can measure temperatures at high precision, which is useful for...
- Basics of pump designs. Foszcz, Joseph L. // Plant Engineering;Nov94, Vol. 48 Issue 14, p48
Focuses on the designs of different pumps. Classification of pumps; Kinetic or dynamic pumps; Positive displacement pumps; Centrifugal pumps; Rotary pumps.
- Benefit from modular design of high-pressure pumps. Mueller, Hans-Dieter; Hohenstein, Dieter // Power;Dec93, Vol. 137 Issue 12, p55
Discusses the benefits from the modular design of high-pressure pumps. Performance range; Thrust compensation; Design of multistage horizontal pumps.
- Hybrid pump design reduces noise and vibration. Hogan, Brian J. // Design News;3/3/97, Vol. 53 Issue 5, p146
Features a hybrid pump design that produces less noise and vibration. Combination of swashplate, wobble-plate and wobble-piston technologies; Simpler, easily balanced design; Components; Performance; Specifications; Contact information.
- Water-well pump. Klenck, Thomas // Popular Mechanics;May97, Vol. 174 Issue 5, p106
Presents information on water-well pump design and construction. Use of jet pumps for shallow well; How the jet pump creates a vacuum to supply water to household; How the jet pump functions; Prevention in overpumping the well; Components of the pump.
- Up high. // Adirondack Daily Enterprise;9/28/2010, Vol. 117 Issue 229, p3
A photograph of the construction of the reconfigured gas pumps at Stewart's Shop on Bloomingdale Avenue in Saranac Lake, New York is presented.
- Prediction of water temperature metrics using spatial modelling in the Eastern and Western Cape, South Africa. Rivers-Moore, N. A.; Mantel, S.; Dallas, H. F. // Water SA;Apr2012, Vol. 38 Issue 2, p167
Key aspects of a river's temperature regime are described by magnitudes, timing and durations of thermal events, and frequencies of extreme exceedance events. To understand alterations to thermal regimes, it is necessary to describe thermal time series based on these statistics. Classification...