Kensington Jumps Back Into African-American Market With New Imprint
- Ebony book shelf. // Ebony;Apr1996, Vol. 51 Issue 6, p22
Lists books suggested to African-American readers of `Ebony' magazine. Includes `Report from Part Two,' by Gwendolyn Brooks; `Codes of Conduct: Race, Ethics, and the Color of Our Character,' by Karla F.C. Holloway; `Silver Rights,' by Constance Curry.
- Ebony bookshelf. // Ebony;Jun1996, Vol. 51 Issue 8, p22
Features books of interest to African Americans. Includes Terry McMillan's `How Stella Got Her Groove Back'; Derrick Bell's `Gospel Choirs: Psalms of Survival in an Alien Land Called Home'; `Go and Tell Pharaoh: The Autobiography of the reverend Al Sharpton.'
- Book marks. // Essence (Essence);Nov95, Vol. 26 Issue 7, p68
Lists books suggested for African-American readers. Includes `Claiming Earth: Race, Rage, Rape, Redemption; Blacks Seeking a Culture of Enlightened Empowerment,' by Haki Madhubui; `R.L.'s Dream,' by Walter Mosley; `Transbluesency: The Selected poems of Airi Baraka/Leroi Jones (1961-1995),'...
- Book marks. // Essence (Essence);May96, Vol. 27 Issue 1, p58
Presents a list of recommended books for African-American readers. `Miss Rhythm: The Autobiography of Ruth Brown,' by Ruth Brown with Andrew Yule; `Sister Feelgood: A Year of Health and Fitness for Our Bodies and Our Souls,' by Donna Williams; `A Rock Against the Wind,' by Lindsay Patterson.
- From the archives. // Cobblestone;Feb96, Vol. 17 Issue 2, p44
Presents a list of books which give information on Mary McLeod Bethune and others. `Aftermath of the Civil War: Reconstruction'; `The South As Perceived by Its Artists'; Famous African Americans; Reference made to Harriet Tubman.
- Blacks are buying more books, but... Sinclair, Abiola // New York Amsterdam News;8/10/96, Vol. 87 Issue 32, p24
Reports on trends in book buying and publishing by Blacks in the United States. Increase in the number of Black-authored books purchased by Blacks; Small percentage of Black managers and editors in the book industry; Need for Black magazine publishers to enter into book publishing; List of...
- Joy, hope, and inspiration in books about African Americans. Smith, Henrietta M.; Kruse, Ginny Moore // Book Links;May98, Vol. 7 Issue 5, p14
Presents a list of books which focuses on the life of African Americans. Details on Langston Hughes' `The Sweet and Sour Animal Book'; List of books for young and older readers; `Celebration Song,' by James Barry; `Promise Me the Moon,' Joyce Annette Barnes. INSETS: Award books;For classroom...
- Barbara Summers. // American Visions;Jun/Jul96, Vol. 11 Issue 3, p30
Presents author and Afro-American novelist Barbara Summers's suggestions for summer reading. Includes `The New Negro,' edited by Alain Locke; `The Portable Harlem Renaissance Reader,' edited by David Levering; `Aaron Douglas: Art, Race and the Harlem Renaissance,' by Amy Helene Kirschke.
- Recent & relevant. // American Visions;Aug/Sept96, Vol. 11 Issue 4, p36
Presents various books by African American. `Call and Response,' by Forrest Hamer; `Ebony Angels: A Collection of African-American Poetry and Prose,' edited by Faith Jaycox; `Embouchure: Poems on Jazz and other Musics,' by Akua Lezli Hope; Brief description of each book; Price of the book.