Mortality Following the Diagnosis of a Vertebral Compression Fracture in the Medicare Population
- Patient Risk Factors, Operative Care, and Outcomes Among Older Community-Dwelling Male Veterans with Hip Fracture. Radcliff, Tiffany A.; Henderson, William G.; Stoner, Tamara J.; Khuri, Shukri F.; Dohm, Michael; Hutt, Evelyn // Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery, American Volume;Jan2008, Vol. 90-A Issue 1, p34
Background: Although more than 1200 hip fracture repairs are performed in United States Department of Veterans Affairs hospitals annually, little is known about the relationship between perioperative care and short-term outcomes for veterans with hip fracture. The purpose of the present study...
- Don't miss underlying reason for elder's fall. // ED Nursing;Mar2010, Vol. 13 Issue 5, p58
If your elderly patient reports a fall injury, carefully assess for fractures and identify what caused the fall. To improve care: â€¢ suspect loss of consciousness; â€¢ assess the ability to walk; â€¢ look for abrasions, bruising, or deformities.
- Elder with fracture? Take these steps. // ED Nursing;Mar2010, Vol. 13 Issue 5, p59
The article presents information on how to deal with fractures of elders. Lori Dowell, clinical educator at Oakwood Hospital and Medical Center in Dearborn, Michigan states that an elderly patient with fall injury should be given an open airway. Dowell mentions that supplemental oxygen may also...
- Osteoporotische Frakturen am proximalen Humerus. Lill, H.; Ellwein, A.; Katthagen, C.; Voigt, C. // Der Chirurg;Oct2012, Vol. 83 Issue 10, p858
Fractures of the proximal humerus are typical osteoporotic fractures of the elderly with an increasing incidence. Computed tomography (CT) with 3D reconstruction plays a more and more decisive role in the diagnostics because of an improved understanding of fractures in 3D images. The resulting...
- Osteoporotische Frakturen des proximalen Femurs. Bonnaire, F.; Straßberger, C.; Kieb, M.; Bula, P. // Der Chirurg;Oct2012, Vol. 83 Issue 10, p882
Proximal femoral fractures in the elderly are still increasing and are almost always associated with osteoporosis. Especially the over 80-year-olds are increasing and at risk in this respect. In the treatment of these patients new knowledge has been achieved over the last years. An...
- Results of treatment of simple unstable uncomplicated lower leg shaft fractures treated operatively and nonoperatively. Dzankovic, Fuad; Avdic, Dijana; Macic-Dzankovic, Amra // HealthMed;Mar2010, Vol. 4 Issue 1, p95
For the purpose of this research, 60 patients were observed with simple unstable uncomplicated fracture of lower leg ,divided into two groups: group treated nonoperatively and group treated operatively subdivided on subgroup of patients treated with compression plate and screw and subgroup of...
- Hip protectors are ineffective for preventing hip and pelvic fractures. Van Schoor, N. M.; Smit, J. H.; Twisk, J. W. R. // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);8/2/2003, Vol. 327 Issue 7409, p238
Reports on a randomly controlled, non blinded, trial to determine if hip protectors help prevent hip fractures in elderly people. Findings which did not show a statistically significant difference between the intervention and control groups.
- The epidemic of ankle fractures in the elderly â€“ is surgical treatment warranted? Salai, M.; Dudkiewicz, I.; Novikov, I.; Amit, Y.; Chechick, A. // Archives of Orthopaedic & Trauma Surgery;Sep2000, Vol. 120 Issue 9, p511
Ankle fractures in the elderly are extremely common (up to 184 fractures per 100,000 persons per year, and of these approximately 20%â€“30% occur in the elderly). The medical literature contains no research that has investigated ankle fractures in the elderly. A prospective, randomised...
- Simultaneous bilateral fracture of femoral neck in elderly patients: report on two cases. Carpintero, Pedro; Abad, Jose; Urbano, David; Jimenez-Sánchez, Carlos // European Journal of Orthopaedic Surgery & Traumatology;Jun2006, Vol. 16 Issue 2, p172
Bilateral fractures of the femoral neck are very rare. We report two cases of elderly patients with simultaneous and bilateral femoral neck fractures.