Turkey Hunter Safety Tips
- Warning: Experience can be fatal. Curtis, Sam // Field & Stream;Apr98, Vol. 102 Issue 12, p50
Offers advice for turkey hunters on avoiding mistakes and accidents while hunting. Estimated number of turkey hunters which mistake a person for a turkey and end up shooting the person each year; Description of the so-called premature closure which causes the mistake made by turkey hunters;...
- Turkey hunting safety. // Outdoor Life;Mar95, Vol. 195 Issue 3, p95
Presents safety precautions for turkey hunters. Includes need for practicing careful firearms handling; Non-deviation from camouflage; Avoidance of stalking or belly-crawling in on a wild turkey.
- 10 Tips for A Safe Turkey Hunt. // Dakota Country;Oct2011, Vol. 32 Issue 9, p59
The article discusses safety measures when wild turkey hunting. A series of recommendations are presented to insure personal safety when turkey hunting. These include leaving an area where you suspect there might be another hunter, sitting in protective cover when calling turkeys and to never...
- In the line of fire. Neasel, Carla // Backpacker;Oct95, Vol. 23 Issue 8, p26
Outlines measures on how hunters can enhance their visibility to other hunters. Includes wearing blaze orange shirt; Tying a roll of range tape from a baseball cap, windbreaker and or, vest; Tying an orange bandanna on companion dogs. INSET: Wise advice..
- When hunting in bear country. Butt, Kathy // Bowhunter;Feb/Mar97, Vol. 26 Issue 3, p52
Gives advice on how to prevent bear attacks when hunting in inaccessible areas. Use of pepper spray to deter bear; Warning against wearing animal scents to avoid attracting predatory creatures; Caution in surprising bears.
- Treasure your chest. Gill Jr., P.G. // Outdoor Life;Jan91, Vol. 187 Issue 1, p48
Gives advice on how to avoid a chest injury when bow hunting in the wilderness. Tells how to stabilize injuries that can be treated in the field.
- Pennsylvania passes hunter orange requirement. Fegely, T. // Outdoor Life;Mar92, Vol. 189 Issue 3, p9
Reports that Pennsylvania has become the first state to mandate the wearing of safety fluorescent orange during the spring gobbler season. Regulation details; Proposals that were defeated.
- Safety in the trees. // Outdoor Life;Dec92, Vol. 190 Issue 6, p64
Considers how tree stands can offer advantages to deer hunters but can also lead to serious accidents if they aren't used safely. How to care for injured hunter; Getting hunter out of the wilderness; Carrying techniques; Tips for safer deer stands.
- Hunting on horseback. Petzal, David R. // Field & Stream;Aug93, Vol. 98 Issue 4, p71
Provides tips on horseback hunting. Reason why outfitters use horses; Carrying rifles on horses; Saddle scabbard; Removal of sling and high scope mount; Dismounting information; Four possible reactions of a horse to any command from a rider; Not letting the horse graze every few seconds;...