Killer Laser's Scud Eraser
- Military lasers face cloudy future. Kiernan, Vincent // Laser Focus World;May94, Vol. 30 Issue 5, p71
Focuses on the bleak prospects for military lasers in the United States. Budget squeeze on military-related laser programs; Ballistic Missile Defense Organization's reduced support for laser programs; Closure of the Department of Defense's High Energy Laser Systems Test Facility at White Sands...
- Military lasers: The incredible becomes credible. Hecht, Jeff // Laser Focus World;Jul94, Vol. 30 Issue 7, p57
Chronicles the development of military lasers in the United States. Department of Defense's spending on laser research and development; United States' joint study with Great Britain regarding the capabilities of lasers as antipersonnel weapons; Creation of lasers with shorter wavelengths;...
- Blinded by the light. // Earth Island Journal;Winter93/94, Vol. 9 Issue 1, p22
Cites an article in the `Laser Focus World' about Lockheed Sanders' development of PLQ-5, a laser-powered `countermeasure weapon' for use by the US Army. Features of PLQ-5; Capabilities; Laser industry's concern about the lack of public debate on the moral and ethical issues involved in the...
- `Clearinghouse' for laser tests could reveal vital intelligence. Gertz, Bill // Insight on the News;02/09/98, Vol. 14 Issue 5, p42
Looks at the controversy being generated over the proposal by United States President Bill Clinton to share sensitive laser technology. Critics opposition to the clearinghouse proposal by Clinton; What Pentagon officials believe the laser proposal is linked to; When the problem of laser energy...
- The laser-weapon race is on. Kiernan, Vincent T. // Laser Focus World;Dec96, Vol. 32 Issue 12, p48
Predicts the advent of laser weapons that will reshape global military balances by the year 2010. Forecast from the Electronic Industries Association of Arlington, Virginia; Competition among nations to develop better laser weapons and defenses; Accumulation of huge quantities of inexpensive...
- Human-rights groups. MacLachlan, Suzanne; Siems, Shelby // Christian Science Monitor;5/23/95, Vol. 87 Issue 124, p2
Reports on the human-rights groups criticizing the Pentagon for developing laser weapons that blind enemy soldiers.
- A Garden Spot. McKenna, Pat // Airman;Feb99, Vol. 43 Issue 2, p2
Focuses on McGuire Air Force Base in New Jersey. Views of United States Air Force airmen on McGuire; Service as a redistribution terminal for Europe; Construction projects at McGuire.
- When airmen get to Los Angeles Air Force Base, they find many opportunities awaiting them, and they're soon living the...California Dream. Arana-Barradas, Louis A. // Airman;Jun99, Vol. 43 Issue 6, p22
Features the Los Angeles Air Force Base in California. Details on the base; Reasons for some personnel's second thoughts about the city; Comments from Lieutenant General Eugene Tattini, commander of the Space and Missile Systems Center; Information on the housing; What the personnel have to say...
- Give Vance a Chance. Arana-Barradas, Louis A. // Airman;May2000, Vol. 44 Issue 5, p22
Features the Vance Air Force Base in Enid, Oklahoma. Type of lifestyle at Vance; Contributions of the Air Force base to the economy of Enid; Neatness of Vance; Changes at the base.