Life satisfaction in a sample of empty-nest elderly: a survey in the rural area of a mountainous county in China
- Changes in the SF-12 among Depressed Elders Six Months after Discharge from an Inpatient Geropsychiatric Unit. Rozario, Philip A.; Morrow-Howell, Nancy L.; Proctor, Enola K. // Quality of Life Research;May2006, Vol. 15 Issue 4, p755
Using the SF-12 to measure physical and mental functioning, the authors examine the intra-individual changes in health-related quality of life (HRQOL) 6 months post-discharge for depressed older adults. In addition, they examine three sets of predictors that might influence these changes. The...
- Role of depressive and cognitive status in self-reported evaluation of quality of life in older people: comparing proxy and physician perspectives. Scocco, Paolo; Fantoni, Giovanna; Caon, Federico // Age & Ageing;Mar2006, Vol. 35 Issue 2, p166
Objective: to assess the quality of life (QOL) of older adults aged over 65 years, who were healthy or suffering from depressive syndrome (DS) and/or Alzheimer's disease (AD); to analyse agreement between participants' and proxies' QOL ratings; to evaluate the association between participants'...
- Depression and aging. // Nation's Health;Dec96, Vol. 26 Issue 11, p12
Presents the brochure `Depression in Late Life -- Not a Natural Part of Aging,' from the Geriatric Psychiatry Alliance.
- Symptoms of Depression in the Oldest Old: A Longitudinal Study. Haynie, Dee A.; Berg, Stig; Johansson, Boo; Gatz, Margaret; Zarit, Steven H. // Journals of Gerontology Series B: Psychological Sciences & Socia;Mar2001, Vol. 56B Issue 2, pP111
Examines depressive symptoms in a population-based, longitudinal sample of people aged 80 and older to determine initial prevalence of depressive symptoms and changes over time. Performance of participants on initial Center of Epidemiologic Studies-Depression scale; Major contributor to the...
- Depressive Symptoms, Depletion, or Developmental Change? Withdrawal, Apathy, and Lack of Vigor in the Geriatric Depression Scale. Adams, Kathryn Betts // Gerontologist;Dec2001, Vol. 41 Issue 6, p768
Presents a study which analyzed the existence of a withdrawal, apathy and lack of vigor dimension of the Geriatric Depression Scale (GDS) in older adults. Symptoms of late-life depression; Description of the GDS; Results and discussion.
- Loneliness and health-related quality of life for the empty nest elderly in the rural area of a mountainous county in China. Li-Juan Liu; Qiang Guo // Quality of Life Research;Oct2007, Vol. 16 Issue 8, p1275
To estimate whether loneliness was associated with quality of life and examined the influence of socio-economic factors in the empty nest elderly. The 36-Item Short-Form Health Survey (SF-36) and UCLA Loneliness Scale (UCLA-LS) were used to assess the quality of life and loneliness for 275 empty...
- The Treatment of Depressed Geriatric Patients. Ban, Thomas A. // American Journal of Psychotherapy;Jan1978, Vol. 32 Issue 1, p93
Studies the treatment of depression in elderly patients. Biological changes associated with late onset depression; Pharmacological choices; Practical considerations when treating depressed geropsychiatric patients.
- Contribution of Psychosis and Depression to Behavioral Disturbances in Geropsychiatric Inpatients... Kunik, Mark E.; Snow-Turek, A. Lynn // Journals of Gerontology Series A: Biological Sciences & Medical ;Mar99, Vol. 54A Issue 3, pM157
Examines the association of depression and psychosis with behavioral disturbances in geropsychiatric inpatients with dementia. Assessment of the severity of cognitive impairment and behavioral symptoms of patients; Computation of correlations; Limitations of the study.
- The Nature of Depression Among Older People in Inner London, and the Contact with Primary Care. Blanchard, M.R.; Waterreus, A.; Mann, A.H. // British Journal of Psychiatry;Mar94, Vol. 164, p396
Ninety-six people of pensionable age from an inner-London electoral ward who had been identified by short-CARE screening as having 'probable pervasive depression' were interviewed further to ascertain their GMS-AGECAT and self-CARE status, comorbid features, and current primary-care psychiatric...