Availability of Guns Is Not the Cause of Youth Violence
- Can Cities Sue Gun Makers? Anders, Kelly // State Legislatures;May99, Vol. 25 Issue 5, p29
Focuses on the litigation of gun manufacturers by cities in the United States. Claims on safety hazard and violence; Remarks from gun manufacturers; Status of legislators on gun manufacturing.
- Taking aim on gun manufacturers. Wojcik, Joanne // Business Insurance;6/20/94, Vol. 28 Issue 25, p1
Reports on the plan of the Law School Coalition to Combat Gun Violence to file product liability lawsuits against gun manufacturers and distributors in behalf of gun victims. Allegation of sale of unreasonable dangerous products; Failure of similar legal action in the past; Restriction of sale...
- How to keep firearms out of children's hands. Tyson, Ann Scott // Christian Science Monitor;4/6/98, Vol. 90 Issue 90, p3
Focuses on proposed new measures by lawmakers to keep firearms out of the hands of children. America's 200 million privately owned firearms; The debate heightened by the Jonesboro, Arkansas shootings; Parents questioning how to safeguard children in a nation where guns are present in an...
- Gun Control's Twisted Outcome. Malcolm, Joyce Lee // Reason;Nov2002, Vol. 34 Issue 6, p20
Discusses the impact of gun control on the increase in crime in England. Gun crime in inner cities; Debate over the Prevention of Crime Act in Great Britain's House of Commons; Cases that illustrate the impact of gun control legislation; Comparison between crime rates in Great Britain and the U.S.
- Gun play. Buchanan, John M. // Christian Century;5/17/2003, Vol. 120 Issue 10, p3
Addresses the issue of gun violence in the U.S. Passage of the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act; Incidents of gun violence; Implications for gun control.
- `YOU'VE GOT TO HAVE A WAY OF DEFENDING YOURSELF'. Fenoglio, Gia // National Journal;7/22/2000, Vol. 32 Issue 30, p2372
Recounts the experience of Susan Gonzalez who was able to depend herself against two attackers in her home in Jacksonville, Florida, with the use of a gun. Details on the crime scene; Charges filed by Gonzalez against the attackers; Implication of Gonzalez' survival on the issue of gun control...
- `I REGRET HAVING IT IN THE HOUSE'. Fogg, Piper // National Journal;7/22/2000, Vol. 32 Issue 30, p2374
Deals with the case involving Michael Wilbanks who died from a gunshot in Adairsville, Georgia. Details on the crime scene; Implication of Wilbanks' death on the issue of gun control in the United States; Comments from Teavous Whatley, stepfather of Wilbanks.
- Guns & the Law. Stenning, Philip C. // Beaver;Dec2000/Jan2001, Vol. 80 Issue 6, p6
Provides information on the history of private ownership of firearms in Canada. Legal measures in the 18th and 19th century concerning gun control; Views on the use of firearms for security and commercial hunting; Rationale behind the inclusion of the private ownership of firearms in the...
- We all live in...? Carter, Richard // New York Amsterdam News;03/02/2000, Vol. 91 Issue 9, p12
Editorial. Expresses concerns over the murder of white girl by a black school boy in Michigan. Source of boy's gun; Prosecution of underage offenders in the state; Need to control the gun lobby headed by the National Rifle Association; Consequences of failing to control the United States'...