- HARNESSING THE NET, ONE PHONE AT A TIME. Reingold, Jennifer // Fast Company;Oct2003, Issue 75, p44
This article focuses on the case of nurse Nancy Marcos who saw a patient with symptoms of measles in the Peruvian village of San Vicente de Canete in August 2002. There had not been a measles diagnosis in Peru for nine years. Marcos used a system called Alerta to immediately warn both the...
- You lite up my life. Bernstein, Peter // Telephony;02/02/98, Vol. 233 Issue 5, p30
Focuses on DSL Lite, a new version of asymmetrical digital subscriber line (ADSL) technology. Telecommunication companies supporting the new technology; Features and attributes of DSL Lite; Changes in telecommunication brought about by the new technology.
- Don't be alarmed--it's the layered look. Chen, Tai // America's Network;7/1/94, Vol. 98 Issue 13, p43
Presents a discussion on multi-layered communications structures. Simpler alarm and performance monitoring procedures for service providers; System criteria; Existing systems; Data collectors; Data accumulators; Mediation devices; Sub-network controllers; Master control center; Actual...
- Sonet capabilities will dominate planned networks. Dittberner, Donald L. // Lightwave;Jan95, Vol. 12 Issue 1, pS24
Assesses the benefits and shortcomings of Sonet applications in telecommunications networks. Acceptance of Sonet/synchronous digital hierarchy-based (SDH) transmission systems; Diversity in functions of Sonet/SDH networks; Price trends for Sonet/SDH equipment; Network implementation; Viability...
- Distributed wireless network architecture. Iroff, Martin A. // Telecom Asia;Feb96, Vol. 7 Issue 2, p25
Discusses advances in telecommunication infrastructure. Distributed mobile switching centers (DMSC); Market segments appropriate to DMSC architectures.
- AIN arrives. Bernier, Paula // Telephony;5/30/94, Vol. 226 Issue 22, p5
Editorial. Discusses developments in the Advanced Intelligent Network telecommunication technology. Tests by telephone companies; Customer response to the technology; Efficiency benefits.
- More information distributed electronically. McShulskis, Elaine // HR Magazine;Oct97, Vol. 42 Issue 10, p20
Reports that 83 percent of mid-to-large size United States employers use electronic media for some internal communication functions. Percentage of those surveyed who do not use electronic media; Reasons for using electronic communication; Factors that will undermine the effectiveness of company...
- Back to the future of the local loop. Hawley, George T. // Telephony;9/26/94, Vol. 227 Issue 13, p62
Discusses various aspects of the local loop in relation to the technological advancements in the telecommunication system. Features of the local loop; Single-mode fiber applications; Advanced digital wireless systems; Terminal supports; Cross-connect system; Analysis of the progress of local...
- Developing a Next-Generation Communications System. Heckman, Melissa; Warner, Chris // ECN: Electronic Component News;Oct2001, Vol. 45 Issue 11, p77
Focuses on the development of communication system at the StarFabric Trade Association. Needs for the communication system market; Provision of the switch fabrics technology; Compatibility of the StarFabric technology with CompactPCI bussing; Advantages of the switched fabrics on bus architectures.