Why it helps to walk a mile in staff's shoes
- Managing the Underperformer. Smith, Ben // Windows IT Pro;May2007, Vol. 13 Issue 5, p79
The article discusses the three common mistakes that managers should not commit to avoid having underperforming employees. It presents five steps for managing underperforming employees. According to the author, these common mistakes include waiting too long to confront an underperformer, being...
- do you know your people. Pollock, Ted // Supervision;Jul2003, Vol. 64 Issue 7, p26
Presents a variety of questions for analyzing a manager's knowledge of his employees.
- Management Riddle. Lobenhofer, Roy // Modern Casting;Jan2004, Vol. 94 Issue 1, p45
Discusses the implications of micromanagement. Reasons behind the decision of some managers to micromanage their subordinates; Effects of micromanaging on employees; Ways to avoid micromanagement.
- Don't cloak communication in vagueness and innuendo. Adkins, Ben // Fort Worth Business Press;11/28/2003, Vol. 16 Issue 46, p10
Offers tips on how managers can address job performance problems in the workplace. Significance of having the courage to talk to the person concerned; Way of preventing insinuation.
- AN EXAGGERATED SENSE OF YOUR OWN IMPORTANCE CAN STIFLE NEW IDEAS. Feuer, Michael // Smart Business St. Louis;Apr2011, Vol. 4 Issue 4, p22
The article discusses how company executives can turn out negatives into positives and get their people to open up. It indicates that executives should make themselves accessible and learn to ask questions when opportunity arises. It notes that asking relevant questions encourages give-and-take...
- PERMISSION TO SPEAK MY MIND. McPherson, Blair // Government News;Aug/Sep2010, Vol. 30 Issue 4, p20
The article focuses on the author's views on staff management. He believes that the role of management is not to tell people what to do but help them do it, thus, senior managers should set the example by being prepared to explain the thinking behind their decisions. He argues that to establish...
- Managing smart: Enabling under-performers to become valued contributors. Manzoni, Jean-Francois; Barsoux, Jean-Louis // Ivey Business Journal;Mar/Apr2003, Vol. 67 Issue 4, p1
Discusses the mechanisms that led companies to sub-optimize the contribution and potential of employees who are perceived as weaker performers. Reasons behind the negative reactions of employees towards increased supervision and control of executives; Factors to consider to improve the...
- Make Big Requests. Lemberg, Paul // Sales & Service Excellence Essentials;Oct2007, Vol. 7 Issue 10, p15
In this article, the author offers ideas for dealing with big requests from employees. The author begins by defining a request. He then compares a request from an order or a demand. He also discusses the attitude of managers and leaders towards rejection of a request. In addition, the author...
- Creating A Compliance Roadmap For Managers Of Agents. Groner, Dennis M. // National Underwriter / Life & Health Financial Services;6/11/2001, Vol. 105 Issue 24, p41
Provides information on the compliance supervision workload, a method designed to help insurance managers to cope up with their problems in personnel management. Scope of the responsibilities of insurance managers; Additional responsibilities of managers with many company relationships;...