Ranking solutions to global problems
- Calories and health. G.F.C. // World & I;Apr98, Vol. 13 Issue 4, p176
Focuses on the importance of micronutrients in preventing malnutrition. Impact of the green revolution effort on the diet of developing countries; Percentage of anemic women in South Asia; Figures on iron density in diet.
- Micronutrient malnutrition. // World Health;Jul/Aug97, Vol. 50 Issue 4, p38
Focuses on the number of people who are malnourished, whether they lack essential micronutrients or are suffering from diseases caused by unsafe food or unbalanced diet. Four main types of malnutrition which are most damaging.
- Biofortification -- a way forward to nourishing future. Zulfiqar, Usman; Munir, Hassan; Maqsood, Muhammad // Technology Times;8/24/2015, Vol. 6 Issue 34, p3
The article discusses the potential of biofortification to reducing micronutrient malnutrition, ways a person can get micronutrients including dietary diversity and addition of micronutrients to consumed food, and the technical feasibility of biofortification without compromise on productivity.
- Deficiency of Micronutrient Status in Pulmonary Tuberculosis Patients in North India. Ahmad, Irfan; Srivastava, V. K.; Prasad, R.; Yusuf, Mohd.; Safia; Saleem, M.; Ali, Wahid // Biomedical Research (0970-938X);Oct-Dec2011, Vol. 22 Issue 4, p449
Malnutrition is observed frequently in patients with pulmonary tuberculosis (TB), but their micronutrient status, especially of Vitamin A and Zinc, is still poorly documented. The objective of this study was to investigate the micronutrient status of patients with active pulmonary tuberculosis,...
- Production and Distribution of a Therapeutic Nutritional Product for Severe Acute Malnutrition in India: Opportunities and Challenges. BEESABATHUNI, K. N.; NATCHU, U. C. M. // Indian Pediatrics;Aug2010, Vol. 47 Issue 8, p702
Limited resources for hospitalized treatment of India's nearly 8 million children with severe acute malnutrition (SAM) make community management of SAM a priority. Capability to produce sufficient quantities of Ready to Use Therapeutic Food (RUTF) is one component of preparedness for community...
- National food fortification: a dialogue with reference to Asia: balanced advocacy. Solomons, Noel W. // Asia Pacific Journal of Clinical Nutrition;2008 Supplement 1, Vol. 17, p20
The vulnerability of large segments of Asia's population to micronutrient deficiency is more a consequence of cultural evolution and demography than of economic inequities. We evolved in a hunter-gatherer lifestyle with vigorous energy expenditure, wide dietary variety and a nutrient-dense diet...
- Micronutrient Malnutrition in India: Let Us Say "No" to it Now. Kotecha, Prakash V. // Indian Journal of Community Medicine;Jan-Mar2008, Vol. 33 Issue 1, p9
The author reflects on micronutrient malnutrition in India. He mentions the goals set by the Indian government that, according to him, indicate a well-defined policy planning for controlling the problem. He urges public health specialists to refuse to accept micronutrient malnutrition and...
- Micronutrient malnutrition and wasting in adults with pulmonary tuberculosis with and without HIV co-infection in Malawi. Van Lettow, Monique; Harries, Anthony D.; Kumwenda, Johnny J.; Zijlstra, Ed E.; Clark, Tamara D.; Taha, Taha E.; Semba, Richard D. // BMC Infectious Diseases;2004, Vol. 4 Issue 1, p61
Background: Wasting and micronutrient malnutrition have not been well characterized in adults with pulmonary tuberculosis. We hypothesized that micronutrient malnutrition is associated with wasting and higher plasma human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) load in adults with pulmonary tuberculosis....
- Benefits and Costs of the Environment: Copenhagen Consensus 2008. Pedersen, Ole W. // Journal of Environmental Law;2008, Vol. 20 Issue 3, p465
The article discusses the Copenhagen Consensus, an international group of economists led by Danish environmentalist Bjorn Lomborg, which deliberates on how to address major challenges facing the world. In 2004, this consensus compiled a list of ten challenges facing the world, which included...