Meet the new VSAT
- Broadband for a narrow market? Taaffe, Ouida // Telecommunications - International Edition;Sep2005, Vol. 39 Issue 9, p32
This article focuses on the easy and cheap accessibility of the fixed broadband Internet. Enough sites, using very small aperture terminals (VSAT) could be as low as 50 in Europe and just ten in Africa. French points out that the oil, gas and automotive industries have traditionally used...
- Broadband's VSAT physique. Hartshorn, David // Satellite Broadband;Oct2000, Vol. 1 Issue 2, p46
Focuses on consumers' demand for expanded access to two-way broadband services. Number of digital subscriber line technology subscribers in the United States and Europe; Skepticism on the state of broadband satellite; Rise in the status of very small aperture terminal technology.
- Business Developments: Initiatives Shaping Satellite Communications. // Satellite News;8/7/2006, Vol. 28 Issue 30, p1
The article discusses business development initiatives involving satellite communications. The growing need for cohesion between Internet Protocol television services and high-definition content is discussed. Developments within the Very Small Aperture Terminal services sector are tackled....
- Smarter Satellite Communications. Pollack, Michael // Stability Operations Magazine;May/Jun2013, Vol. 8 Issue 6, p14
The article offers information on satellite communications and the advantages it provides during disasters. It talks about several factors to consider in evaluating a very small aperture terminal (VSAT) like length of aid operation, volume of users, and mobility. Various types of communication...
- WildBlue gets down to business. // CED;Feb2006, Vol. 32 Issue 2, p8
The article reports that WildBlue Communications plans to enter the Very Small Aperture Terminal market by leveraging its Ka-band satellite broadband platform in the U.S. in 2006.
- Dishing It Up. Haeberle, Matthew // Chain Store Age;Aug2004, Vol. 80 Issue 8, p120
Deals with the implementation of very small aperture terminals (VSAT) in retail businesses in the U.S. Broadband connectivity offered by VSAT; Advantages of VSAT; Impact of VSAT on bandwidth cost.
- KVH Doubles mini-VSAT Broadband Network Capacity in Africa to Support Offshore Oil and Gas Industry. // Wireless Satellite & Broadcasting;Apr2014, Vol. 24 Issue 4, p8
The article reports on the move of KVH Industries Inc. to double the capacity of its mini-VSAT Broadband Network in Africa to address the increasing demand for reliable satellite communications from shipping and offshore oil and gas industry. Topics discussed include the areas covered by the...
- Making airwaves by filling gaps. Bright, Julian // Total Telecom Magazine;Sep2003, p48
Deals with the effort taken by very small aperture terminal (VSAT) operators to tout new and improved services to users in remote locations in Europe as of September 2003. Implication of relatively high cost of satellite bandwidth for VSAT service providers; Success of services targeting the...
- Satellite broadband at sea. Rousseau, Claude // Telecom Asia;Jun2009, Vol. 20 Issue 5, p30
The article explores the battle for the maritime broadband satellite business with the launch of various products pitting companies offering Very Small Aperture Terminal (VSAT) against the more traditional mobile satellite services in L-band. This condition is driven by the growing community of...