Once In a Lifetime Feud
- Scuttling cable TV pirates. Finucane, Stephanie // Westchester County Business Journal;8/8/94, Vol. 33 Issue 32, p1
Writes about the corrupt practices plaguing the cable television industry. Theft by commercial establishments; People who hook up residences to free cable service; Manufacture, distribution and selling of illegal cable signal converters.
- Cable thieves undaunted by new technology. Berniker, Mark // Broadcasting & Cable;7/10/95, Vol. 125 Issue 28, p36
Discusses the fraudulent practice of spoiling cable programing through an illegal pirate converter. Revenue loss incurred to cable industry; Plans of networks to curb it; Involvement of FBI in the matter.
- More buyers criticize HGTV's practices. Chunovic, Louis // Electronic Media;04/23/2001, Vol. 20 Issue 17, p3
Reports on airtime buyers' criticisms on the business practices of Home and Garden Television Network (HGTV). Alleged misleading sales practices of the network; Defense letter sent out by HGTV to clear its name; Buyers' narration of the improper activities of the network.
- At press time. // Electronic Media;05/03/99, Vol. 18 Issue 18, p1
Reports developments in the television industry in the United States as of May 1999. Includes subscription rate hike by ESPN; Revelation of the WIS-TV source; Supreme Court order on the turn over of unbroadcast video of riots at Michigan State University.
- Getting through to MDUs. Brown, Karen // CED;Oct2005, Vol. 31 Issue 10, p28
Focuses on the challenges met by cable operators on multi dwelling unit (MDU) service for multi-family segment in the U.S. Importance of MDUs business for cable operators; Launching of Internet Protocol video services by telecommunication providers; Service agreements between MDUs and building...
- DirecTV adds foursomes, forecasts and more. Scully, Sean // Broadcasting & Cable;11/22/93, Vol. 123 Issue 47, p28
Announces participating channels in Hughes' DirecTv direct-broadcasting satellite's programming roster. Distribution of medical-programming Physicians Television Network; Moves by competitor United States Satellite Broadcasting (USSB).
- Set-top boxes underwhelm overbuilder. Robins, Andrew // Electronic Media;8/6/2001, Vol. 20 Issue 32, p28
Reports that overbuilder network RCN has decided to adopt digital cable conditional access solutions from non-American providers. How conditional access technology allows viewers to securely order advanced services through their set-top boxies; Obstacles encountered by the company in trying to...
- Retrans plans: Programming the new channels. McClellan, Steve // Broadcasting & Cable;10/11/93, Vol. 123 Issue 41, p16
Reports on some broadcasters' use of the retransmission agreements to gain carriage, subscriber fees for local and national cable channels and creation of cable channels. Uncertainty of profits; News and information programming; Weather services.
- Future of CableAces in doubt. Richmond, Ray // Variety;03/09/98, Vol. 370 Issue 4, p31
Provides information on the board meeting of the National Academy of Cable Programming (NACP). Purpose of organizing the board meeting; Information about the CableAces awards; Speculation about the plans of Home Box Office (HBO) to withdraw from the competition.