The Use-Value of 'Josephine Baker'
- Long Way from St. Louis. // Time;3/12/1951, Vol. 57 Issue 11, p67
The article reviews the performance of French-born entertainer Josephine Baker at Strand Theater in New York City's Broadway.
- JOSEPHINE HOME TO U. S. // Ebony;May1951, Vol. 6 Issue 7, p74
The article features the return to the U.S. of Josephine Baker, the fabled African American female performer of the Folies Bergere of Paris, France in 1951.
- BAKER COMES ONCE AGAIN. // Ebony;May1951, Vol. 6 Issue 7, p75
The article highlights the return to the U.S. and the remarkable triumph of African American female performer Jo Baker at the Copa City night club in Miami, Florida in 1951.
- MIAMI SUCCESS CLIMAXES STORYBOOK CAREER. // Ebony;May1951, Vol. 6 Issue 7, p76
The article discusses the successful U.S. comeback of African American female performer Josephine Baker at the Copa City night club in Miami, Florida in 1951. She was reportedly not appreciated in her own land and had moved to Paris, France in 1925 where she achieved fame and fortune in the...
- Josephine Baker: Woman of the world. White, Renee Minus // New York Amsterdam News;03/02/2000, Vol. 91 Issue 9, p17
Reports on the holding of the exhibition `Josephine Baker: Woman of the World' in Perigord, France. Career history; Success as a black entertainer; Debut as La Revue Negre at the Theatre des Champs Elysees in Paris, France; Marriages.
- Recommended Reading. // S&F Online;Fall2007/Spring2008, Vol. 6 Issue 1/2, p10
A list of books and articles related to performer Josephine Baker is presented which includes "An Intelligence of the Body: Disruptive Parody Through Dance in the Early Performances of Josephine Baker," "Josephine Baker, Racial Protest and the Cold War" and "Embodied Fictions, Melancholy...
- SPOTLIGHT. Kurutz, Gary F. // California History;2012, Vol. 89 Issue 4, p80
A 1947 photograph of African American singer Josephine Baker at Hill Street Theater in Los Angeles, California is presented, taken by photographer Arnold Hylen.
- JOSEPHINE. // Ebony;Dec1973, Vol. 29 Issue 2, p170
The article profiles entertainer and actress Josephine Baker who was born in 1906 in Saint Louis, Missouri. An overview of how Baker started her career in the show business is also offered. It states that Baker was married several times, one to Count Abbatino, an Italian nobleman and another to...
- HER DEBUT CRACKS COLOR BAN AT OTHER MIAMI BEACH CLUBS. // Ebony;May1951, Vol. 6 Issue 7, p78
The article highlights the tributes given to African American female performer Josephine Baker following her Copa City debut in Miami, Florida in 1951 and the resulting adoption of the no-discrimination policy in two other clubs in the city.