What's New in Pediatric Orthopaedics
- Determination of the amount of leg length inequality that alters spinal posture in healthy subjects using rasterstereography. Betsch, Marcel; Rapp, Walter; Przibylla, Anna; Jungbluth, Pascal; Hakimi, Mohssen; Schneppendahl, Johannes; Thelen, Simon; Wild, Michael // European Spine Journal;Jun2013, Vol. 22 Issue 6, p1354
Purpose: Leg length inequalities (LLIs) can result in an increased energy consumption, abnormal gait or osteoarthritis of the hip. In a previous study we simulated different LLIs of up to 15 mm and evaluated their effects on the pelvic position and spinal posture. We found a correlation between...
- A cadaver study comparing intraoperative methods to analyze lower limb alignment. Hawi, Nael; Liodakis, Emmanouil; Suero, Eduardo; Meller, Rupert; Citak, Musa; Krettek, Christian // Skeletal Radiology;Nov2014, Vol. 43 Issue 11, p1577
Background: Conventional intraoperative determination of lower limb alignment is essential for orthopedic surgical treatment. Current methods include the cable, alignment rod, and axis board methods. Question/purposes: Are there differences in accuracy and reliability? What are the individual...
- Bowing of the right lower leg in a 6-month-old infant. SMITH, JASON R.; DAVIDSON, RICHARD // JAAPA: Journal of the American Academy of Physician Assistants (;Feb2010, Vol. 23 Issue 2, p69
The article discusses a medical case of a six month boy, who according to his mother has slight bowing in right lower-extremity, which was present at birth and worsen since than. On examination, patient's neurological and physical conditions were normal but there was 35 degrees of anterolateral...
- Getting a leg up. Bean, Adam // Runner's World;Mar97, Vol. 32 Issue 3, p27
Discusses information about leg-length discrepancy. Test on determining leg-length discrepancy with the use of a carpenter's level or yardstick.
- Ending leg pain. McAlpine, Ken // Runner's World;Oct97, Vol. 32 Issue 10, p40
Discusses information about leg-length discrepancy. Its effect in runners; How to determine if one leg is shorter than the other; Treatment for leg-length discrepancy.
- PERSPECTIVE. Valle, Craig J. Della // Orthopedics Today;Feb2011, Vol. 31 Issue 2, p20
The author comments on Doctor Steven Stuchin's presentation regarding leg-length inequality following total hip replacement (THR), agreeing with his advice while stressing the importance of patient preparation for the possibility of an apparent or true leg-length inequality postoperatively.
- Test-Retest Reliability Study of a New Improved Leg-O-Meter, the Leg-O-Meter II in Patients Suffering from Venous Insufficiency of the Lower Limbs. Berard, Anick // Angiology;Sep2000, Vol. 51 Issue 9, p711
Reports on the reliability of the Leg-O-Meter II, an instrument designed to measure leg circumference. Measurement of the left limb only in a standing position; Variables on leg circumference, edema, clinical presentation and venous insufficiency treatment history; Use of intraclass correlation...
- The Modular Advantage: A Comparison of Stem/Sleeve Modularity Versus One-Piece Stems in Total Hip Arthroplasty. D'Ambrosia, Robert D. // Orthopedics;Sep2005 Supplement, Vol. 28, ps1019
The article discusses various reports published within the issue including one on leg length inequality and another on total hip arthroplasty.
- Limb shortening for the management of leg length discrepancy. Coppola, Cristiano; Maffulli, Nicola // Journal of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh;Feb99, Vol. 44 Issue 1, p46
Examines the indications and results of various limb shortening procedures for the management of leg length discrepancy. Shortening of femus versus tibia; Preoperative assessment; Surgical procedures and results; Complications.