WHY MPEG-4 CONVERSION IS COSTLY
- Seminar tracks convergence race. McConville, Jim // Electronic Media;11/02/98, Vol. 17 Issue 45, p30
Reports that mass media convergence to connect the television, computer, telephony and high-speed data is finally happening, and cable television has the best pipeline to provide it, according to industry experts at the fourth annual World Convergence Summit. Need for cable operators to shell...
- 2001. Jones, Doug // CED;Dec2000, Vol. 26 Issue 12, p28
Proposes the further convergence of DOCSIS and MPEG-based services by cable television operators. Use of DOCSIS as a transport mechanism; Deployment of the DOCSIS data transport standard; Migration of set-top box (STB) control to DOCSIS; Reasons for converging STB control over DOCSIS. INSET:...
- `Localism' in Chinese media context: An examination of a closed circuit community cable system. Yu, Xuejian; Sears, Anne // Journal of Broadcasting & Electronic Media;Spring96, Vol. 40 Issue 2, p208
Describes the structure and program content of Jianglu's closed circuit community cable system in China. Transformation of Chinese mass communication; Localism in the context of Chinese media; Significance of closed circuit community cable systems.
- AXN takes on the world. Osborne, Magz // Ad Age Global;Jul2001, Vol. 1 Issue 11, p9
Reports on the success of AXN cable television channel. Operation of the channel in Asia; Information on the programming of the channel; Marketing efforts of the channel; Plan of the channel to enter the U.S. market.
- Advertising proves to be the big issue for connected TVs. Levy, Katherine // Campaign (UK);6/1/2012, Issue 22, p18
The article discusses the current row between the U.S. cable networks CBS, Fox and NBC and the largest U.S. satellite broadcaster, DISH, over a newly installed DVR feature.
- Cable ready for the big squeeze. Scully, Sean // Broadcasting & Cable;4/19/93, Vol. 123 Issue 16, p52
Discusses the readiness of the cable industry to roll out its compression technology in response to the challenge from direct-broadcast satellite. Moving Picture Experts Group (MPEG) video standard; Advance orders of equipment from five systems; Development of cable industry compression system.
- 500 channels of what??? Goldbreg, Lee // Electronic Design;10/25/94, Vol. 42 Issue 22, p20
Focuses on 500-channel cable television systems. Criticisms on video-on-demand services offered by cable networks; Alternative applications of 500-channel cable systems.
- CATV tackles its two-way conundrum. Karpinski, Richard // Telephony;10/18/93, Vol. 225 Issue 16, p18
Focuses on the two-way communication needs of the cable television industry. Subsplit return band; Effect of off-air interference sources on return communications; Laying of two coaxial cables in the distribution network; Time Warner's use of the high end of the spectrum.
- VCTV reports high use, satisfaction rates. Bernier, Paula // Telephony;11/29/93, Vol. 225 Issue 22, p3
Reports on the results of the Viewer Controlled Cable Television test conducted by AT&T, Tele-Communications Inc. (TCI) and US West. Average movies a month watched by the participants; Number of participants in the trial; Systems provided by AT&T for the trial; Facilities provided by TCI and...