Gov. Chiles praises Florida's economy, recommends funding health care plans
- Fla. kills bill to stop tobacco suits. Nelson-Morrill, Creston // National Underwriter / Property & Casualty Risk & Benefits Manag;3/25/96, Vol. 100 Issue 13, p6
States that the first ever round of the fight in the state legislature to override his veto came from Lawton Chiles, Florida Governor. Reason; Comments from both side.
- Lawton Chiles. Arrarte, A. // U.S. News & World Report;9/17/90, Vol. 109 Issue 11, p14
Profiles former three-term Senator Lawton Chiles who last week won the Democratic gubernatorial primary in Florida, setting the stage for what could be a bruising contest against Republican incumbent Bob Martinez. Low-key approach.
- Chiles speech focuses on children. Diegmueller, Karen // Education Week;2/16/94, Vol. 13 Issue 21, p16
Reports on Florida Governor Lawton Chiles's state of address devoted principally to enhance the lives, education and safety of children. `Safe schools' plan; Get-tough approach to dealing with juvenile offenders; 6.65 percent increase in education funding.
- No Florida shield law. // Quill;Jul/Aug93, Vol. 81 Issue 6, p11
Reports on the veto by Florida Governor Lawton Chiles of bills providing for the exemption of legislative documents from public scrutiny and allowing of confidentiality in journalist sources. `Tim Roche bill'; Prospects of a shield law in Florida.
- Florida legislature passes tort reform measure. // Business Insurance;05/04/98, Vol. 32 Issue 18, p1
States that Governor Lawton Chiles of Tallahassee, Florida have to decide whether to veto comprehensive tort reform legislation, passed by the state legislature. Information on the bill including its sponsor; Impact the bill will have on the practice of tort.
- Florida Gov. Lawton chiles apologized. Hanson, Cynthia; McLaughlin, Abraham T. // Christian Science Monitor;11/16/95, Vol. 87 Issue 247, p2
Reports on the apology made by Lawton Chiles, Florida governor for his scare calls to senior voters during his 1994 reelection campaign.
- Fla. governor reveals plan to buffer cuts. Greene, Jay // Modern Healthcare;9/11/95, Vol. 25 Issue 37, p6
Reports on Florida Governor Lawton Chiles' unveiling of a plan to protect Florida and other high-Medicaid-growth states from severe cuts in federal Medicaid spending under the Republican block-grant proposal. Terms of Chiles' proposal; Estimated amount that Florida will lose under the...
- Florida's Chiles to review budget incorporating $1.2 billion of bonds. Molis, Jim // Bond Buyer;04/23/98, Vol. 324 Issue 30378, p3
Reports on the assessment of a 1999 budget by Florida Governor Chiles Lawton which includes various kinds of bonds. Indications that he may use his line-item veto power to cut pork-barrel budgets; Uncertainty of whether the bonds will be rejected.
- Florida Gov. Chiles left his mark in public finance sector. McEntee, Christopher // Bond Buyer;12/15/98, Vol. 326 Issue 30540, p3
Reports on the death of former Florida governor Lawton Chiles. Contributions to the public finance industry; Reform of campaign contribution laws; Career history of Chiles.