N.Y.C. awards contract for study on tunnel connection with N.J
- Chinese wind tunnel facility. // Aviation Week & Space Technology;7/29/85, Vol. 123 Issue 5, p55
The People's Republic of China is preparing to build a large transonic wind tunnel at the Chinese Aeronautical Research & Development Center northwest of Chengdu and may be interested in making the effort a joint project, possibly with the Europeans.
- Linking Europe to Africa. Hughes, Barrie // Geographical (Campion Interactive Publishing);Aug95, Vol. 67 Issue 8, p8
Reports on the plan to implement a three-billion-pound project to link Spain and Morocco by rail tunnel. Features of project; Consideration of the geology of the Strait of Gibraltar; Provision of technical advice by British consulting engineers Halcrow.
- Alpine subway. // International Construction;Oct2002, Vol. 41 Issue 8, p19
Reports on the construction of a twin tube tunnel at Steinhaus in Austria in an attempt to bring the country's transport system on par with European standards. Features and location of the tunnel; Method of mechanical excavation; Rock quality encountered in the drilling process.
- Dug Out. Van Houten, Ben // Restaurant Business;8/1/2001, Vol. 100 Issue 15, p15
Reports on the impact of the construction of Big Dig, officially known as Central Artery-Third Harbor Tunnel project on the restaurant industry in Boston, Massachusetts. Closure of landmark downtown eatery Al Sablones Veal 'N Vintage; Underground rerouting of the above-ground interstate...
- Swiss bore a gallery prior to Alpine tunnel. // ENR: Engineering News-Record;10/18/93, Vol. 231 Issue 16, p29
Reports on a Swiss consortium's boring of a tunnel through the Alps to explore the geology for a proposed tunneling project. Extending nearly 3.5 miles; Tunnel boring machine to drive through loose and soft soil; Risk of fracturing; First construction work for the Swiss Federal Railway's...
- CPAR field tests retrieval microtunneling system. // Pipeline & Utilities Construction;Feb95, Vol. 50 Issue 2, p42
Focuses on the Construction Productivity Advancement Research Program, a microtunneling research project in Mississippi funded by the United States Army Corp of Engineers and the construction industry. Completion of a project which evaluates a microtunnling system which use temporary steel...
- Year-end Review. Rush, Jim // TBM: Tunnel Business Magazine;Dec2011, p4
An introduction to the journal is presented in which the editor discusses the business of tunnel market in North America and related articles in the present and other issues.
- Upcoming Projects. // TBM: Tunnel Business Magazine;Apr2010, p44
The article offers information on coming tunnel projects in various areas including California, Florida and Ohio. It stated about the construction of a tunnel parallel to the existing Irvington Tunnel in Alameda County, California; Government Cut Utility Tunnel on Miami Beach and Euclid Creek...
- Robbins EPB Completes Metro Line 12. // TBM: Tunnel Business Magazine;Jun2012, p6
The article reports on the successful completion of 10.2 meter in diameter and 7.7 kilometer (km) in length of Robbins EPB Metro Line 12 tunnel in Mexico City, Mexico.
- Events Calendar. // TBM: Tunnel Business Magazine;Jun2012, p42
A calendar of events related to tunnel construction in North America from June 2012 to June 2017 is presented which includes the North American Tunneling in Indianapolis, Indiana, Moles Awards Dinner in New York, and InnoTrans in Berlin, Germany.