Great thoughts or words of wellness wisdom
- Has the cat got your tongue? Helmer, Marilyn // Boys' Quest;Oct/Nov97, Vol. 3 Issue 3, p26
Presents examples of idioms or proverbs which include animal's names. Explanations and meanings of the sample expressions.
- Caveat Audiens. Doloff, Steven // Humanist;Jan/Feb97, Vol. 57 Issue 1, p4
Proposes several Roman sayings regarding logical errors in political and journalistic speeches. `Si anas est, tetrinnit'; `Ludicra exercitatio facilis est; res civilis, difficilis'; `Homo in speculo interrogat.'
- Moscow in sunshine and tears. Ivanov, Mikhail // Russian Life;Aug97, Vol. 40 Issue 8, p15
Gives information on Russian sayings. Translation for `the city on seven hills,' and `my dear capital, my golden Moscow'; Other sayings; Details on various proverbs; Information on learning Moscow-related idioms.
- SUGGESTED WAYS TO USE THIS BOOK. // Mexican Sayings: The Treasure of a People;1992, preceding p1
The article offers tips on how to use the book, "Mexican Sayings: The Treasure of a People , 1992" and explains the target readers of the book.
- THE APHORISM. Wolf, Manfred // ETC: A Review of General Semantics;Winter94/95, Vol. 51 Issue 4, p432
Discusses the aphorism of great writers. Shakespeare's aphorisms; Shakespeare's best known utterances; Ability of aphorism to stand on their own; Classification of aphorism; Samuel Johnson's aphorisms; Byron's aphorisms; Aphorists of the twentieth century.
- `He's got more tongue than a Mountie's boot.' Casselman, Bill // Canadian Geographic;May/Jun96, Vol. 116 Issue 3, p23
Presents information on some folk sayings and anecdotes from across Canada. Information on nature of Canadian folk sayings; Details on sources of sayings; Featuring of some folk sayings like `they eat like gannets'; Insight on borrowing of local Canadian English; How certain topics are magnets...
- Character and aphorism, then and now. Steele, Peter // Quadrant Magazine;Jul/Aug98, Vol. 42 Issue 7/8, p63
Opinion. Discusses the use of character and aphorisms in books. Reference to the book `Jonathan Swift: A Short Character,' by Nigel Dennis; Examination of character writing; Information on the book `Pictures from an Institution,' by Randall Jarrell.
- WHITES Wagging Tongue. White, Cynthia // Twin Cities News (Munday, TX);9/13/2007, Vol. 25 Issue 32, p6
Several sayings about life are presented, including sayings on life in Texas.
- It's A Wise Horse that Doesn't Chew A Hose. Stone, Judith // Literary Cavalcade;Nov/Dec98, Vol. 51 Issue 3, p20
Focuses on aphorisms. Parental guidance as a highly specialized subset of folk wisdom; Examples of aphorisms.