- Clickin' brass for bass. McNally, Bob // Outdoor Life;Feb93, Vol. 191 Issue 2, p54
Examines how a simple refinement in the rigging of soft plastic lures is raising a clamor among fishermen nationwide. Benefits of glass-and-brass rigs over rattling, sound-producing lures; Use by author; Listing of brass-and-glass lure manufacturers.
- Sally, the killer bass bait. Dean, Jim // Outdoor Life;Apr93, Vol. 191 Issue 4, p60
Discusses how soft-plastic salamanders are excellent lures for bass, throughout both the spring and summer. Versatility and effectiveness on both largemouth and smallmouth bass; Why bass recognize and attack salamander-shaped forms of prey; Using salamanders. INSET: How many salamanders?.
- Hot weather got you down? Dean, Jim // Outdoor Life;Aug95, Vol. 196 Issue 2, p52
Reports on the increasing popularity of using crankbaits for bass fishing. Features of the crankbait; Advantages of using crankbaits over plastic worms; Advice from big-lake bass specialist Phil Cable; Effectiveness of the Carolina rig; Bass fishing in flooded timber; Features to look for in...
- The mighty midgets. Hicks, Mark // Field & Stream;Mar1993, Vol. 97 Issue 11, p20
Presents advice on using midget crankbaits for bass. Care needed in using the tiny lures; Times when midget crankbaits are more effective than larger bass lures; Midsummer abundance of tiny baitfish; Using midget crankbaits when fishing conditions are tough; Contacts for more information.
- Update: Braided lines. Flanders, Jim // Fishing World (00153079);Jun95, Vol. 43 Issue 3, p56
Discusses the use of braided lines in fishing. Diameter and flexibility; Use of braided lines by bass anglers; Applications; Use of a medium-action fiberglass rod. INSET: Braided line background, by J.F..
- Complete guide to live-bait bass rigging. Larsen, Larry // Outdoor Life;May93, Vol. 191 Issue 5, p60
Gives details on a variety of live bait for bass. Shiners; Shad; Sunfish and bluegills; Small minnows; Crayfish; Salamanders; Shrimp; Night crawlers, leeches and grubs; Hellgrammites and insects; More.
- Big baits for fall smallmouths. Hicks, Mark // Field & Stream;Oct92, Vol. 97 Issue 6, p16
Presents information on effective fishing lures to catch smallmouth bass. Topwater stickbaits; Jerkbaits; Big spinnerbaits; 5-inch fat grubs; Big crankbaits; More.
- A Sporting Chance? Parsons, Ross // Outdoor Life;May2000, Vol. 205 Issue 4, p40
Discourages the use of ultralight tackle for catching heavy bass. Why sportfishers in the past thought that the use of heavy tackle was not fair; Why using light tackle to challenge every bass in the lake is detrimental; Proof that the alleged sportsmanship of light-tackle bass is a myth.
- Lost Opportunities. Moore, Colin // Outdoor Life;May2002, Vol. 209 Issue 3, p32
Presents tips on how to fish bass. How to use the fishing rod; Recommended fishing hooks; Suggested fishing rods and techniques.