Senior stewards help protect aquifer in Southern Tier
- The first step toward getting senior citizens involved at school: Find out what they know. // Curriculum Review;Sep95, Vol. 35 Issue 1, p9
Reports on an intergenerational program developed by Garden City Public Schools administrators, wherein senior citizens had to first fill out a questionnaire to determine their interests, expertise and experiences that can be shared with students. Distribution of questionnaires; Respondents;...
- HELPING HANDS IN THE CLASSROOM. A.P. // Jet;9/20/2010, Vol. 118 Issue 12, p16
The author reports on the Foster Grandparent Program with Community Action Partnership of Central Illinois which lets senior citizens volunteer in a variety of locations, including schools, day care programs and the governmental organization Head Start.
- THE COMMUNITY HELPS ITS OWN. Jones, David R. // New York Amsterdam News;06/08/2000, Vol. 91 Issue 23, p5
Focuses on the involvement of senior volunteers belonging to the Experience Corps project in efforts to improve the public school system in New York City. History of the project; Needs filled by the volunteers; Roles and responsibilities; Contributions to the efforts to improve literacy skills...
- Make a Difference in your Community. // Kalihwisaks;11/27/2013, p10A
The article is seeking senior citizens of 55 years or older for two positions, foster grandparent and senior companion to give them an opportunity of making a difference in their community by volunteering up to eight hours a day while receiving extra income.
- Papa Troy a Real Home-Town Hero. Dale, Keri // Trammel Trace Tribune (Tatum, TX);5/7/2009, Vol. 34 Issue 19, p2
The article focuses on the voluntary work done by Troy Lewis, a Korean war veteran, at Tatum Primary School in Tatum, Texas.
- Experience Corps - A Success Story in Our Schools. Jones, David R. // New York Amsterdam News;8/8/2002, Vol. 93 Issue 32, p5
Reports the social services of Experience Corps, a team of trained senior volunteers in New York. Goals of the program; Information on the volunteers; Improvement on the literary skills of students.
- Involving older adults in schools. Angelis, Jane; Wathen, Lisa // Education Week;11/9/94, Vol. 14 Issue 10, p32
Discusses the pros of intergenerational programs in formal education in the United States. Guidelines for establishing an intergenerational educational program; Reluctance of teachers to accept intergenerational programs due to fears of extra work or undermining of moral authority; Apprehension...
- any volunteers?. McMahon, Pauline; McMahon, Denis // Nursing Older People;Feb2002, Vol. 13 Issue 10, p32
Assesses the volunteering program of retired people in the U.S. Example of an organization providing volunteers to care for older people; Way of gaining support and meaning; Element in maintaining independence and health.
- Schools courting vote of nation's burgeoning population of seniors. Johnson, Robert C. // Education Week;9/25/96, Vol. 16 Issue 4, p1
Focuses on the efforts by schools to get the involvement by senior citizens in education. Features of the volunteer programs by schools to get the support of senior citizens; Other programs by schools concerning senior citizens; Total population growth in the United States between 1980 and...