New York's rite of spring...the maple harvest
- Forest Harvesting Problem in the Light of the Information Measures. Rupšys, P.; E. Petrauskas // Trends in Applied Sciences Research;Jan2009, Vol. 4 Issue 1, p25
This study presents a new characterization on optimal harvesting problem. By relying on both Gompertz shape stochastic growth model and the Shanon, Tsallis, Kullback, Fisher information measures, the solution of biologically optimal rotation problem is presented and exemplified. As an present...
- An investigation of the relationships between harvest season, log age, and drying schedule on the coloration of hard maple lumber. Rappold, Patrick M.; Smith, William B. // Forest Products Journal;Dec2004, Vol. 54 Issue 12, p178
The preferred color of kiln-dried hard maple is bright white. Because of the importance of being able to consistently produce acceptable color, the objectives of this study were to quantify, order, and determine the respective importance of drying schedule, harvest season, and log age on the...
- Maple Harvest (Book Review). Hodges, Lois Foight // School Library Journal;Sep76, Vol. 23 Issue 1, p116
Reviews the book 'Maple Harvest: The Story of Maple Sugaring,' by Elizabeth Gemming.
- Maple Energy provides an update regarding its ethanol business and operations. // World Energy News;12/4/2013, p14
The article reports that Maple Energy Plc is planning to offer an update of its ethanol business and operations in Peru. It mentions that 54,300 cubic meters of fuel-grade ethanol is produced as the Ethanol plant. It states that an aggregate amount of 811,000 gross tonnes of sugar cane have been...
- The time course of diameter increment responses to selection harvests in Acer saccharum. Jones, Trevor A.; Thomas, Sean C. // Canadian Journal of Forest Research;Jul2004, Vol. 34 Issue 7, p1525
We used dendroecological techniques to analyze the temporal pattern in diameter growth following selection harvests in stands dominated by Acer saccharum Marsh. in central Ontario and examined differences in growth responses related to tree size, damage, and orientation relative to canopy gaps....
- spring's sweet harvest. Semenak, Susan // Organic Gardening;Feb/Mar2013, Vol. 60 Issue 2, p58
The article presents information on the harvesting of maple syrup in maple forests in Quebec. France Bisson's family produces about 2,000 gallons of maple syrup annually on their farm in St. Damase. It is noted that maple season remains a family affair in Quebec in which rural men would go to...
- Japanese maples. Hyland, Bob // Horticulture;Mar96, Vol. 74 Issue 3, p44
Presents photographs and descriptions of several Japanese maples.
- From the Ground Up: Maple Sugaring Behlen, Dorothy // American Forests;Mar1980, Vol. 86 Issue 3, p12
No abstract available.
- Big tooth maple. Johnson, Thomas A. // Flower & Garden;Sep/Oct97, Vol. 41 Issue 5, p42
Provides information about the bigtooth maple scientifically known as Acersaccharum grandidentatum. Determinants of bigtooth maple's color; Morphological description of the tree; Growing requirement of bigtooth maple.