Well-meaning law creates 'monster' that will struggle to function
- Prompt action needed after harassment claim. Prince, Michael // Business Insurance;05/08/2000, Vol. 34 Issue 19, p46
Stresses the importance of a prompt investigation of a sexual harassment claim in limiting liability. Reasons for conducting an investigation; Steps in establishing an investigation; Preparation of a final report determining the events and recommending disciplinary action.
- Complaints of workplace harassment: the critical response. Pearson, Michael // New Hampshire Business Review;9/16/2005, Vol. 27 Issue 20, p30
Considers workplace harassment issues from a case decided by the New Hampshire Supreme Court. Background of the case; Adequacy of a company's investigation of a sexual harassment complaint by an employee; Pointers on how to develop a workplace harassment policy.
- Jerks at Work: How to Deal. Lucia, Victoria // Cosmopolitan;Apr2008, Vol. 244 Issue 4, p186
The article discusses ways in which women can react when they feel that they have been sexually harassed while at work. Different types of sexual harassment are mentioned. Steps which the author suggests women who feel they are being sexually harassed should take, including defusing the...
- Video seminar addresses sexual harassment. // Human Rights;Fall97, Vol. 24 Issue 4, p4
The article focuses on a new VideoLaw Seminar titled "Sexual Harassment: What Works.... What Doesn't," produced by the American Bar Association (ABA) section of Labor and Employment. This videotape examines the elements of effective sexual harassmen, taking place at work or school, prevention...
- An Employer's Perspective on Workplace Romances. Ramos, Elsa G. // Texas Business Today;Second Quarter 2014, p6
The article tackles various issues related to workplace romances with regards to its impact on employers. These issues include gossip among employees that can disrupt their productivity, sexual harassment that involves a hostile work environment, and special treament and favoritism which can...
- How can a company prevent sexual harassment in the workplace? // San Diego Business Journal;4/24/2006, Vol. 27 Issue 17, p6
The article provides expert tips regarding the prevention of sexual harassment in the workplace. According to statistics, the issue of sexual harassment in the workplace has increased and is becoming quite prevalent. Between 40 to 60 percent of women in the U.S. workforce have been victims of...
- Managing Workplace Sexual Harassment: The Role of Manager Training. Buckner, Grant; Hindman, Hugh; Huelsman, Timothy; Bergman, Jacqueline // Employee Responsibilities & Rights Journal;Dec2014, Vol. 26 Issue 4, p257
Sexual harassment remains a persistent problem for businesses. Indeed, employers spend millions annually in sexual harassment litigation and liability costs. Furthermore, current U.S. law effectively makes it management's responsibility to implement programs to prevent and correct harassment, or...
- Court issues ruling on hostile work environment. Greenwald, Judy // Business Insurance;11/06/2000, Vol. 34 Issue 45, p32
Focuses on a court ruling in San Francisco, California which stated that a single, isolated sexual harassment episode that is promptly addressed by an employer does not support a hostile work environment claim. Case background; Suggestion that an employer's effort to educate its employees...
- EU pushes 'equality plans' Higginbottom, Karen // People Management;5/2/2002, Vol. 8 Issue 9, p7
Focuses on sexual harassment issue in the workplace in Great Britain. Information on a directive on sexual harassment; Gender differences in the prevalence of sexual harassment.