Thiazolidinediones increase congestive heart failure but not cardiovascular deaths in prediabetes or type 2 diabetes
- Insulin Dose and Cardiovascular Mortality in the ACCORD Trial. Siraj, Elias S.; Rubin, Daniel J.; Riddle, Matthew C.; Miller, Michael E.; Fang-Chi Hsu; Ismail-Beigi, Faramarz; Shyh-Huei Chen; Ambrosius, Walter T.; Thomas, Abraham; Bestermann, William; Buse, John B.; Genuth, Saul; Joyce, Carol; Kovacs, Christopher S.; O'Connor, Patrick J.; Sigal, Ronald J.; Solomon, Sol; Hsu, Fang-Chi; Chen, Shyh-Huei; ACCORD Investigators // Diabetes Care;Nov2015, Vol. 38 Issue 11, p2000
Objective:In the ACCORD trial, intensive treatment of patients with type 2 diabetes and high cardiovascular (CV) risk was associated with higher all-cause and CV mortality. Post hoc analyses have failed to implicate rapid reduction of glucose, hypoglycemia, or specific drugs as the...
- Degludec, a New Ultra-long-acting Basal Insulin for Diabetes. // Neurology Alert;Jul2012 Clinical Briefs in, p13
The article discusses a controlled trial in type 2 diabetic patients to compare degludec with glargine as part of a basal-bolus regimen, referencing a study by A. J. Garber and colleagues that was published in a 2012 issue of the "Lancet."
- Pro: The arteriovenous fistula is a blessing of God. Basile, Carlo; Lomonte, Carlo // Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation;Oct2012, Vol. 27 Issue 10, p3752
No abstract available.
- Promising weight loss programme. Denby, Martin // New Zealand Doctor;6/6/2007, p25
The article stresses the importance of a weight loss programme for diabetic patients. The author says that lifestyle changes make a difference in weight loss. He reports that the Diabetes Prevention Program found that a 7% weight loss can lessen the onset of type 2 diabetes by 58%. He adds that...
- New Amylin Diabetes Drug Beats Its Current Offering. Chambers, Heather // San Diego Business Journal;12/21/2009, Vol. 30 Issue 51, p13
The article reports on claims of San Diego, California-based biotechnology company Amylin Pharmaceuticals Inc. that its once-weekly experimental type two diabetes drug, Byetta, surpassed its twice-daily drug in a trial. This trial involved 250 participants with type two diabetes who were...
- Adjunctive prandial or biphasic insulin for type 2 diabetes improved glycaemic control but increased hypoglycaemia and weight gain. Hollmand, R. R. // Evidence Based Medicine;Jun2008, Vol. 13 Issue 3, p77
STUDY DESIGN Design: randomised controlled trial (Treating to Target in Type 2 Diabetes [4-T]). Allocation: concealed. Blinding: unblinded. STUDY QUESTION Setting: 58 centres in Ireland and the UK. Patients: 708 patients â©¾18 years of age (mean age 62 y, 64% men) who had type 2 diabetes for...
- Which insulin regimen for type 2 diabetes? // Internal Medicine Alert;12/29/2009, Vol. 31 Issue 24, p192
The article reports on a study conducted by Holman and his colleagues that focused on the proper combination of insulin regimens from basal, prandial, and detemir insulin for the control of type diabetes through randomized controlled trials.
- Efectos de un programa de ejercicio vibratorio de 12 semanas sobre la calidad de vida y la satisfacciÃ³n con el tratamiento en pacientes adultos-mayores afectados por diabetes mellitus tipo 2. Alfonso Rosa, R.Mª; Del Pozo-Cruz, J.; Sañudo-Corrales, B.; Haro González, M.; Fuentes Aragón, A.; Del Pozo-Cruz, B. // Revista Kronos;ene-jun2013, Vol. 12 Issue 1, p9
The aim of This Study was to analyze the effects of 12-wk whole body vibration programme n quality of life and satisfaction with treatment among elderly people with type 2 diabetes (DM2). A randomized controlled trial was conducted with 39 (19 experimental group and 20 control group). Quality of...
- Effects of a Flaxseed-Derived Lignan Supplement in Type 2 Diabetic Patients: A Randomized, Double-Blind, Cross-Over Trial. An Pan; Jianqin Sun; Yanqiu Chen; Xingwang Ye; Huaixing Li; Zhijie Yu; Yanfang Wang; Wenjia Gu; Xinyi Zhang; Xiafei Chen; Demark-Wahnefried, Wendy; Yong Liu; Xu Lin // PLoS Clinical Trials;Nov2007, Vol. 4 Issue 11, p1
Background. Flaxseed consumption has been shown to improve blood lipids in humans and flaxseed-derived lignan has been shown to enhance glycemic control in animals. The study aimed to investigate the effect of a flaxseed-derived lignan supplement on glycemic control, lipid profiles and insulin...