Government expects to get $100 million in taxes from the $1.3 billion federal economic stimulus package
- Don't expect a sales tax this year. Rosa, Ta�na; Oliver-M�ndez, Ken // Caribbean Business;5/18/2006, Vol. 34 Issue 19, p24
The article reports on the possibility that there will no implementation of sales tax in Puerto Rico. According to Treasury Secretary Juan Carlos M�ndez, the funds that will be used for implementing the sales tax have been taken away. The first phase for the sales tax implementation needs 21...
- A tax deficiency notice might not be as bad as it sounds. // Caribbean Business;3/27/2008, Vol. 36 Issue 12, p41
The article reports on the series of income tax deficiencies issued by the Treasury Department to taxpayers in Puerto Rico. According to attorney Kenneth Rivera-Robles, if a taxpayer receives a notice, they need to take action because if there is no action being done the Treasury will assume...
- Law 212 waiting for a new lease on life. Pacheco, Dennis Costa // Caribbean Business;4/3/2008, Vol. 36 Issue 13, p8
No abstract available.
- Impetus for a new Treasury Department. Oliver^Mendez, Ken // Caribbean Business;8/3/2006, Vol. 34 Issue 30, p32
No abstract available.
- Hacienda to Play Tough with Tax Evaders. Blasor, Lorraine // Caribbean Business;4/7/2005, Vol. 33 Issue 13, p38
Reports on Puerto Rico's Treasury Department's advertising campaign to identify tax evaders. Advertising cost; Cost of a computer program that compares a taxpayer's return with information from banks and government sources.
- Excise tax reduction bill long overdue according to auto industry leaders. Pacheco, Dennis Costa // Caribbean Business;3/8/2007, Vol. 35 Issue 9, p39
The article focuses on the significance of House Bill 3386 to Puerto Rico's automobile industry. According to the leaders of the industry, the bill that will lessen excise taxes has long been overdue. It would reduce the taxes on vehicles by one percent to three percent, depending on its...
- Hacienda to issue 100% of certificates requested by Oct. 16. Ryan, Frances // Caribbean Business;11/9/2006, Vol. 34 Issue 44, p32
The article focuses on the issuance of business certificates by Puerto Rico's Department of Treasury. It could be noted that the Department had issued more than 200,000 certificates to businesses. It hopes to have issued all the requested certificates before October 16, 2006 before the...
- Video lottery debut likely early next year. Marino, John // Caribbean Business;11/26/2009, Vol. 37 Issue 47, p8
The article reports on the early implementation of video lottery in Puerto Rico. Marcos Rodr�guez-Ema, La Fortaleza chief of staff, states that the idea is an encouragement to the residents to ask for receipts thus ensuring merchants charge the IVU tax and send it to the Department of...
- Hacienda 1Q collection $80 million ahead of last year. Ryan, Frances // Caribbean Business;11/16/2006, Vol. 34 Issue 45, p40
The article focuses on issues concerning sales tax collection and the implementation of the 7 percent new sales tax, of which 1.5 percent is the municipal tax in Puerto Rico. The Treasury Department has collaborated with municipalities of Trujillo Alto, Dorado and Humacao to standardize the tax...