Also in the news
- Citizens' group points out EMTALA violations; AHA notes report's limits. Parker, Che // AHA News;7/16/2001, Vol. 37 Issue 28, p1
Reports on the violations of the 1986 Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act in the United States. Number of hospitals that have violated the act; Fees for violations; States with no confirmed violations.
- EMTALA tied to liability caps. J.G. // AHA News;1/2/95, Vol. 31 Issue 1, p4
Reports on the court ruling which vacated a $5 million jury verdict against Arlington Hospital, Virginia. Basis of ruling; Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act (EMTALA) as a nonsubstitute for a malpractice claim; American Hospital Association's role in the case; Susan M. Power as...
- EMTALA compliance tips. Brown, Lowell C. // hfm (Healthcare Financial Management);Jun2003, Vol. 57 Issue 6, p26
Provides tips on how the emergency departments of hospitals can comply with the Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act in the U.S. in 2003. Training staff on how to respond to patient inquiries about payment; Keeping a record of patients who leave the emergency department without...
- Legislated Human Immunodeficiency Virus Testing in New York State Emergency Departments: Reported Experience from Emergency Department Providers. Egan, Daniel J.; Cowan, Ethan; Fitzpatrick, Laura; Savitsky, Leah; Kushner, John; Calderon, Yvette; Agins, Bruce D. // AIDS Patient Care & STDs;Feb2014, Vol. 28 Issue 2, p91
In 2010, New York (NY) passed new legislation mandating Emergency Departments (EDs) to offer HIV tests to patients 13-64 presenting for care. We evaluated the requirement's implementation and determined differences based on HIV prevalence or site-specific designated AIDS centers (DACs). We also...
- Tuneup brings EMTALA up to date, AHA officials say. Cassil, Alwyn // AHA News;08/10/98, Vol. 34 Issue 31, p3
Reports on the efforts of a task force of providers and other groups to update the enforcement guidelines for the Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act (EMTALA). Terms under EMTALA; Areas where the task force focused; Highlights of the revised EMTALA guidelines.
- CNE/CME QUESTIONS. // ED Legal Letter;Apr2010, Vol. 21 Issue 4, p47
A quiz concerning emergency department (ED) laws is presented.
- Improving Access Through Innovation. Murer, Cherilyn G . // Rehab Management: The Interdisciplinary Journal of Rehabilitatio;Sep2012 Supplement, Vol. 25, p30
The article discusses freestanding emergency facilities (FEFs) and its role in the health care arena. FEFs are ideal for patients in need for emergency care, but do not require hospital admission. Benefits of FEFs are discussed which includes its ability to lower costs, increase access and...
- Along came a spider. // Emergency Nurse;Nov2013, Vol. 21 Issue 7, p7
The article focuses on the prevalence of false widow spiders, also known as Steatoda nobilis, in Great Britain, as warned by the British Red Cross in2 013.
- CHRONICLE. // America;7/10/1915, Vol. 13 Issue 13, p313
This section offers news briefs around the world. The storm centre in the west has shifted from the region north of Arras to the Argonne and the Vosges. Official reports from London, England and Paris, France record success against the Turks in the Gallipoli peninsula. Meanwhile, resolutions...