Ahead of the Curve
- WHO'S USING WHOM:. // Chain Store Age;Mar2003, Vol. 79 Issue 3, p78
Presents news related to payment systems at retail stores in the United States as of March 2003. Deal between Mrs. Fields Famous Brands and Concord EFS; Supplier of gift-card program for Starbucks Coffee Japan; Electronic payment processing software used by Old Time Pottery.
- Electric avenue. Hemsley, Steve // Marketing Week;4/15/1999, Vol. 22 Issue 11, p69
Discusses the benefits of electronic point-of-sale systems to retailers. Ease of communicating promotions and changes in brand imagery; Usage to control prices; Allowing of retail stores to gauge the response of consumers to the new technology.
- Beware in-store media's false vision of prosperity. Higham, Nick // Marketing Week;10/24/2002, Vol. 25 Issue 44, p21
Questions the effectiveness of deploying audio-visual in-store media to entice customers to buy. Efforts of retailers to increase the time that shoppers spend within their store's premises; Failure of many audio-visual point-of-sale material to influence customer behavior in a positive way...
- POS systems the subject of surveys, prognostications at FS/TEC. Liddle // Nation's Restaurant News;12/13/99, Vol. 33 Issue 50, p93
Highlights the findings from a survey of 43-point-of-sale (POS) products. Trends among POS makers; Renewed emphasis on simplicity; Key features; Back-office functions; Convergence of restaurant management systems and POS technologies.
- The Hunt for a POS System. Gallo, Eliza // Gifts & Decorative Accessories;Feb2001, Vol. 102 Issue 2, p38
Focuses on the application of a point-of-sale (POS) system by gift and decorative retailers in the United States. Factors to consider on deciding whether or not to apply POS in a business; Selection of a potential POS vendor; Compatibility and technical-related issues associated with POS selection.
- Survival of the fitters. Hosea, Maeve // In-Store;Sep2003, p27
Discusses key issues concerning the efforts of point-of-purchase (P-O-P) installation companies to fulfill the increasing demand of clients in Great Britain. Market pressures on installers caused by increasing retailer recognition for the benefits of P-O-P display materials; Range of common...
- Chip and PIN: get card sharp. Ray, Raja // In-Store;Aug2003, p13
Looks at retailers' concerns about the implementation of Chip and PIN in point-of-sale systems in Great Britain. Siting of the application; Operational issues; Guidelines for implementation.
- GETTING CLOSE TO THE SMALL RETAILER. Vavra, Bob // National Petroleum News;Nov2000, Vol. 92 Issue 12, p28
Reports on the growing number of small retailers that are using electronic point-of-sale (POS) systems. Features that small retailers, such as convenience stores and service stations, look for in a POS system; Hurdles facing small retailers that are thinking of automating their POS systems;...
- CHOOSING A POS. Reid, Keith // National Petroleum News;Jun2003, Vol. 95 Issue 6, p18
Part I. Discusses the selection of the best point-of-sale (POS) system for retailing. Strategic planning needed which involves taking a look at where the operation is, its current needs and the ultimate goals for the operation; Thorough and realistic evaluation process; Choosing a POS based on...