CHARACTERISTICS, TREATMENT, AND PRACTITIONERS PERCEPTIONS OF JUVENILE SEX OFFENDERS
- Treatment of the Adolescent Sexual Offender. Kahn, Timothy J.; Lafond, Mary A. // Child & Adolescent Social Work Journal;Summer88, Vol. 5 Issue 2, p135
This article is intended to provide a broad overview of the treatment issues and processes for adolescent sexual offenders. Through the authors' experience treating hundreds of juvenile sex offenders in a state correctional institution, five major treatment tasks are identified: 1. breaking...
- Working With Both Offenders and Victims to Elicit Change. St. Gerard, Vannessa // Corrections Today;Apr2004, Vol. 66 Issue 2, p12
Profiles Nicholas Pihiou, supervisor of the Juvenile Sex Offender Program at New Castle Youth Development Center in Pennsylvania. Contributions to the development of treatment protocols for sex offenders; Robin rehabilitation programs; Commitment of Pihiou to the welfare of victims of sex crimes.
- Adolescent sexual offenders: A self-psychological perspective. Chorn, Rosten; Parekh, Angina // American Journal of Psychotherapy;Spring97, Vol. 51 Issue 2, p210
Discusses the results of a study which sought to explore the application of self psychological principle in the treatment of adolescent sexual offenders. Description of the methodology used in conducting the study; Identification of the self-psychological concepts relating to the adolescent...
- Adolescent sex offenders: Identification and intervention strategies. Cashwell, Craig S.; Caruso, Michele E. // Journal of Mental Health Counseling;Oct97, Vol. 19 Issue 4, p336
Discusses assessment and intervention considerations in the counseling of adolescent sexual offenders. Etiological theories for adolescent sexual offenses; Assessment of problem sexual behaviors; Typology of adolescent sexual offenders; Counseling intervention strategies.
- Myth information and bizarre beliefs of male juvenile sex offenders. Lakey, Joyce F. // Journal of Addictions & Offender Counseling;Oct92, Vol. 13 Issue 1, p2
Describes mythical beliefs, thinking errors, and faulty attitudes collected from a group of male juvenile sex offenders. Pretentiousness; Shifting of responsibility from an offender to something outside of him; Distorted values.
- Tough time to graduate. // Free Press (Buda, TX);6/4/2008, Vol. 105 Issue 9, p4A
The author offers comments about the rape incident of two juvenile teen girls in Texas.
- Juvenile Sexual Homicide. Hunter, John A. // FBI Law Enforcement Bulletin;Mar2000, Vol. 69 Issue 3, p1
Summarizes key findings from a study on juvenile sex offenders and presents cases in which the juveniles murdered their sexual assault victims. Characteristics of offender and victim; Sexual assault in conjunction with another crime; Findings on the juvenile offenders.
- The Impact of Risk Factors on the Treatment of Adolescent Sex Offenders. Kelley, Sharon M.; Lewis, Kathy; Sigal, Janet // Journal of Addictions & Offender Counseling;Apr2004, Vol. 24 Issue 2, p67
This paper examines the impact that five selected risk factors have on the treatment outcome of adolescent male sex offenders. The results indicate that the greatest risk factor among sex offenders is having a mother who has a substance abuse problem. It is noted that by identifying the sex...
- Coming of Age in America: The Misapplication of Sex-Offender Registration and Community-Notification Laws to Juveniles. Garfinkle, Elizabeth // California Law Review;Jan2003, Vol. 91 Issue 1, p163
Argues that applying community-notification requirements to juvenile sex offenders is an ineffective tool for preventing future offenses but rather creates harms for the very children the laws claim to protect. Examination of the history, scope and theoretical and rhetorical bases of Megan's...