Rockwood, Kate
June 2008
Fast Company;Jun2008, Issue 126, p38
The article notes that while only 40% of Americans know when it is Flag Day (June 14th), 25% of Americans display an American flag on that day. The article provides a very brief history of Flag Day, which was established under U.S. President Woodrow Wilson in 1916. The article notes that the war on terror has been a boon to the flag industry, which garners $350 million a year in sales. The author also notes that 99% of American flags are still manufactured in the U.S., with the remaining 1% manufactured in China.


Related Articles

  • Woodrow Wilson and Nicaragua. Harrison, Benjamin T. // Caribbean Quarterly;Mar2005, Vol. 51 Issue 1, p25 

    Much has been written about Woodrow Wilson and Latin America, but little attention has been paid to his policy with Nicaragua. What scholars have ignored is the attitude toward businessmen not only by a deeply religious Wilson but also by a strongly skeptical public in the Progressive Era. After...

  • THE MEANING OF THE FLAG.  // America First Patriotic Readings;1/1/1916, p18 

    The article presents a speech by U.S. President Thomas Woodrow Wilson, delivered at Treasury Building, Washington D.C., June 14, 1915, in which he discussed the significance of flag in one's nation.

  • SEASONAL SAYINGS.  // American Speaker;Jun2010, p6 

    The article presents quotes from former U.S. President Woodrow Wilson about the character of the American flag, 19th-century German poet Wilhelm Busch on the hardships of being a father, and 20th-century American columnist and broadcaster Walter Winchell on the signs of summer.

  • Dearborn to hold Flag Day ceremony June 14.  // Arab American News;6/14/2014, Vol. 30 Issue 1479, p18 

    The article offers information on Dearborn, Michigan's annual Flag Day commemoration ceremony to be held at Ford Field Park on Cherry Hill on June 14, 2014.

  • BRAIN BUSTERS.  // Scholastic News -- Edition 4;11/5/2001, Vol. 64 Issue 9, p8 

    Presents several questionnaires on the U.S. flag and the 2001 war on terrorism.

  • Editorial Notes.  // New Republic;1/2/15, Vol. 1 Issue 9, p3 

    Focuses on the protest of the United States State Department against the rigors of the British interference with American commerce. Burden of restriction laid upon American merchants' right to trade not only with belligerents but with neutrals; Purchase of military supplies by the Allies; Attack...

  • Can sanctions be alternative to war? Roberts, Tom // National Catholic Reporter;06/18/99, Vol. 35 Issue 32, p19 

    Discusses the viability of sanctions, particularly economic sanctions, as an alternative to conventional warfare. Former United States (US) President Woodrow Wilson's argument for sanctions as an alternative to war; Effect of the economic sanctions imposed by the US on Iraq; Conditions in which...

  • Mother's Day, and A Lot Else, Ain't What it Used to Be. Minor, Bob // Whosoever;May/Jun2013, Vol. 17 Issue 6, p12 

    The article criticizes people's practices of celebrating Mother's Day. It mentions that the proclamation of Mother's Day started by U.S. President Woodrow Wilson on May 9, 1914. According to the author, the event should be a day to thank mothers but it is used by the socio-economic system to...

  • The Cancellation Controversy.  // Congressional Digest;Dec22, Vol. 2 Issue 3, p77 

    Presents a summary of developments on the British government's proposals for cancellation of its debts to the United States from 1920 to 1922. Rejection of cancellation proposal by U.S. president Woodrow Wilson; British Government communications to allied foreign governments signed by acting...


Read the Article


Sorry, but this item is not currently available from your library.

Try another library?
Sign out of this library

Other Topics