The Lesbian De Facto Parent Standard in Holtzman v. Knott: Judicial Policy Innovation and Diffusion
- Mi Court: Lesbian Co-parent Has No Legal Standing To Claim Visitation, Custody. HEYWOOD, TODD A. // Between the Lines (10807551);10/24/2013, Issue 2143, p6
The article discusses the Michigan Court of Appeals case Stankevich vs. Milliron wherein the lesbian parents Jennifer Stankevich and Leanne Milliron claimed the legal claims of a child conceived by Leanne Milliron after their marriage. The court found that a lesbian parent has no legal right to...
- Holes in a nonexistent fence. Holden, Janelle // Alberta Report / Newsmagazine;11/02/98, Vol. 25 Issue 46, p21
Focuses on how two lesbian couples in Alberta are challenging the Child Welfare Act, which does not allow homosexuals to adopt children. The Canadian Supreme Court's `Vriend' ruling; Plans by one couple to challenge the definition of spouse; The potential social disaster that lies behind the...
- SHORT TAKES: Roanoke (Virginia). // Advocate;9/18/80, Issue 301, p12
Reports that a federal judge has asked the father of an eight-year-old boy to allow his son to visit his lesbian mother in Roanoke, Virginia.
- Bias in the Booth?: Lesbians sue restaurant. Silas, Faye A. // American Bar Association Journal;Nov83, Vol. 69 Issue 11, p1621
Focuses on a lesbian couple who sued a restaurant after being denied from occupying a curtained booth designed for couples wanting to spend a romantic evening in Los Angeles, California. Violation of Unruh Civil Rights Act and a municipal ordinance; Need for further evaluation of the evidence...
- Lesbian Parents Make Strides. Cole, Susan G. // Herizons;Fall2001, Vol. 15 Issue 2, p46
Focuses on the advances in laws concerning lesbian couples. Details on the court petition filed by a lesbian couple in British Columbia; Move for the revision of the Vital Statistics Act in Ontario; Concerns on same-sex parenting in relation to child naming procedures.
- SOUTH AFRICA. Wockner, Rex // Just Out;4/18/2003, Vol. 20 Issue 12, p24
Reports developments related to gay rights in South Africa as of April 2003. Decision of the South Africa Constitutional Court on the legitimacy of a lesbian couple as parents of artificially inseminated twins; Unconstitutionality of the Children's Status Act; Launch of a civil disobedience...
- Woman argues for right to see child of former lesbian partner. // Gay & Lesbian Times;2/17/2005, Issue 895, p33
Reports the argument of Alphonse David, an attorney for the Lambda Legal, that a woman should be able to see the child of her former lesbian partner even though the birth mother does not want her to do so. Supreme Court ruling in December 2001 that the woman in the case had legal standing as a...
- SPERM DONOR WINS ACCESS TO LESBIANS' SON. // Bay Windows;4/18/2002, pN.PAG
Reports that the Family Court in Victoria granted increased visitation rights to a gay man who donated his sperm to a lesbian couple in order to conceive their son on April 5, 2002. Laws of Victoria concerning the use of sperm banks by infertile women; Two classifications of infertile women.
- Lesbian seeking visitation of child. // Lesbian News;Sep95, Vol. 21 Issue 2, p40
Reports on a mother's court action against a former live-in lesbian lover for asking a Madison, Wisconsin court permission for visitation rights to her six-year old boy. Background on the couple's relationship; Impact of breakup; Court's ruling on the case.