21st Century Wood Bridge
- Surmount bridge-construction obstacles. Moore, Tim // Grounds Maintenance;Jun98, Vol. 33 Issue 6, pG4
Discusses the basics of determining actual bridge needs pertaining to timber bridges used on golf courses. Determining the need for bridges; Replacement of three land bridges at the Eagle Haven Golf Course in Virginia; Structure and construction choices; Primary components of a bridge;...
- Improving transportation networks. // Forest Products Journal;Feb98, Vol. 48 Issue 2, p9
States that the program originally funded by the US Congress in 1989 as the National Timber Bridge Initiative is now known as the Wood in Transportation Program. Expansion of the program; Fourth Timber Bridge Design Competition; Publications from the Wood in Transportation National Information...
- A qualitative evaluation of the U.S. timber bridge market. Smith, Robert L.; Bush, Robert J. // Forest Products Journal;Jan1997, Vol. 47 Issue 1, p37
Investigates factors affecting the timber bridge adoption in the United States highway system. Includes initial cost, resistance to natural deterioration and maintenance requirements in Mississippi; Maintenance requirements and part performance of materials in Virginia; Maintenance and...
- Timber helps build bridges from past to future. Savoye, Craig // Christian Science Monitor;7/17/2000, Vol. 92 Issue 164, p2
Reports on the increasing popularity of wooden bridges in the United States.
- BRIDGES TO THE PAST. Holm, Matthew // Country Living;Dec2001, Vol. 24 Issue 12, p28
Focuses on the efforts to preserve wooden bridges in the United States and re-create the 19th century designs for new ones, including the Red Mill Covered Bridge in Little Hope, Wisconsin.
- Timber carries Pennsylvania roads. Powers, Patrick S. // Roads & Bridges;Aug96, Vol. 34 Issue 8, p58
Reports on the development and standardization of hardwood glued laminated (glulam) timber bridges in Pennsylvania. Environmental acceptability of cutting trees for use as construction material; Coating of the hardwood with a creosote mixture.
- Autumn in the Midwest. Huyser-Honig, Joan // TravelAmerica;Jul/Aug99, Vol. 15 Issue 1, p34
Describes several covered bridges during the autumn season in the Midwest of the United States. Why the Ashtabula County calls itself as the `Ohio's Covered Bridge Capital'; Information on the Parke County Covered Bridge Festival in Indiana; Red Covered Bridge in Princeton, Illinois.
- HO timber highway overpass. McGuirk, Marty // Model Railroader;Aug96, Vol. 63 Issue 8, p34
Evaluates Accurail's timber highway overpass. Use of injection-molded styrene body; Description of the decks, the bridge and other parts; Assembly process; Dimensions.
- No Bridge Too Far. Riedy, Mark; Belmont, Justin // Bicycling;Oct2003, Vol. 44 Issue 9, p81
Presents tips on crossing a wooden bridge with a bicycle.