Tags: HUMAN rights
- Walking on eggs and cracking skulls. Mills, Jim // Hill;4/15/2009, Vol. 16 Issue 42, p20
In this article the author discusses human rights violations made by most countries in Africa.
- Human rights on trial. Nowrojee, Binaifer // Africa Report;Sep/Oct92, Vol. 37 Issue 5, p70
Discusses how Nigeria's human rights community remains an anomaly in a continent which has yet to develop strong local human rights organizations. Police raids on human rights advocates; Why the military government has viewed human rights with suspicion and mistrust; Human rights organizations...
- A sorry record. Kelso, B.J. // Africa Report;Sep/Oct94, Vol. 39 Issue 5, p59
Focuses on human rights violations in Africa. Use of mass arrests detention without trial; Ill treatment of citizens; Jailing of hundreds of political opponents.
- Three men, their babies and a dead horse. // Alberta Report / Newsmagazine;5/17/93, Vol. 20 Issue 22, p34
States the Canadian Human Rights Commission is pursuing a complaint on behalf of three single fathers who were refused payments under the universal baby bonus system that expired on January 1, 1993. Ottawa has applied to the Federal Court of Canada to abort a costly CHRC hearing, arguing it's a...
- Readin', rights and 'rithmetic. // Alberta Report / Newsmagazine;5/17/93, Vol. 20 Issue 22, p34
States Alberta Education has found in a survey of Grades 8 and 11 that males, especially Grade 11 small-town males, are less tolerant than urban males and all females when it comes to `human rights' questions involving different races and cultures, women's rights, elderly and disabled rights and...
- A new look. // Advocate;10/31/95, Issue 693, p16
Reports on Human Rights Campaign Fund's change of name to Human Rights Campaign as part of the efforts to reinvent itself as the largest gay and lesbian political organization in America. Replacement of torch as the group's logo; Reflection of a very deep institutional reengineering.
- Towards a more perfect European human rights standard:... Cope, Keith // Brigham Young University Law Review;1993, Vol. 1993 Issue 2, p743
Gives an analysis of the United Kingdom's position regarding an European bill of rights. Need to facilitate the European Convention process for administering a European human rights standard; Impact of the enumeration on fundamental human rights.
- Trade and human rights: The case of China. Dorn, James A. // CATO Journal;Spring/Summer96, Vol. 16 Issue 1, p77
Focuses on trade and human rights in China. Information on China's economy; Criticism against China's human rights record; Excerpts from Article 25 of the United Nations Declaration of Human Rights; Information on trade liberalization and democratization in China; Information on the use of...
- In troubled Guatemala, a struggle of truth vs. power. Byrne, Hugh // Christian Science Monitor;3/10/98, Vol. 90 Issue 71, p19
Focuses on the comprehensive peace agreement signed in 1996 between the Guatemalan government and opposition guerrillas. The reflection of the power of the military in the mandate of the Historical Clarification Commission; Armed forces' protection of human rights violators; The urging of the...
- Critics in a Central Asian state ask for reality check on... Ford, Peter // Christian Science Monitor;1/14/97, Vol. 89 Issue 34, p6
Reports that human rights activists in Uzbekistan, have complained that American officials and investors are being misled into believing that the government is easing away from its habits of Soviet-style repression. Percentage of votes won by President Islam Karimov in 1991; Publicized steps...