A Fire on the Sixth Floor
- Strategic planning: Creating future excellence, part 2. Wallace, Mark // Fire Engineering;Nov98, Vol. 151 Issue 11, p85
Part II. Explains the steps 7 through 12 of the Fire Department Strategic Planning Model. Opportunities and threats of the external environment; Strengths and weaknesses of the internal environment; Strategic issues of the department; Strategies for strategic issues; Creation of the...
- Assessing willingness and ability. FRANK, JOHN // Industrial Fire World;Fall2015, Vol. 30 Issue 4, p33
The article discusses the assessment of the willingness and ability of firefighters to achieve the goals of their departments and the risk management options for incidents beyond the acceptable level.
- Mesa opts for HazSim in chlorine-spill drill. // Fire Chief Expert Blog;12/27/2012, p2
The article reports that the Mesa Fire/Medical Department lended the HazSim hazmat-detection simulations services to hold its year-end fire drills with Phoenix Regional hazmat groups.
- RESPONSE BE NIMBLE RESPONSE BE QUICK. Trevino, Mario; Tangherlini, Niels // Fire Chief;Feb2003, Vol. 47 Issue 2, p32
Focuses on San Francisco Fire Department's multiple-agency disaster drill in California. Disaster preparedness effort of the fire department; Testing of the region's emergency responders, training, communication and equipment needs; Simulation of a plane crash; Training of volunteers.
- When 911 isn't enough - our follow-up program. Ahlquist, Sara; Lundeen, Jim // Minnesota Fire Chief;Sep/Oct2014, Vol. 51 Issue 1, p24
The article focuses on the follow-up program of the Minnetonka Fire department in Minnesota, in which fire crews follow-up with the residents following their emergency. The program's goal is said to address residents' emergency and their potential need for additional resources. It discusses the...
- 8 killed in abandoned- warehouse fire in New Orleans. Roberts, Mary Rose // Fire Chief;Jan2011, Vol. 55 Issue 1, p8
The article reports on the fire incident that occurred in an abandoned warehouse in New Orleans, Louisiana on December 28, 2010. It notes that eight people and two dogs were killed. It also mentions that the New Orleans Fire Department acquired a fire grant to execute an Assessment,...
- DISASTER DRILL IN GENESEE COUNTY. Baker, Jerry // QST;Feb2008, Vol. 92 Issue 2, p94
The article reports on the annual disaster drill of the Genesee County Fire Departments in Michigan. During the drill, local school students played the role of dead and injured plane passengers and all fire departments in Genesee County participated in the drill that included an actual burning...
- How to choose the right EMS delivery for your department (with related video). Metro, Mike // Fire Chief Expert Blog;2/14/2013, p4
The article offers guidelines on selecting the right emergency management system (EMS) delivery for a fire department. It differentiates between the so-called frequent flyer and the minor patient, and offers solutions to help these types of people. It discusses steps for successful integration...
- Beyond the rigs and ladders - A shared call to service. Dolman, Ramona // Minnesota Fire Chief;Jul/Aug2013, Vol. 49 Issue 6, p6
The author discusses the mission of the Minnesota fire service. The author cites the things she learned, as commissioner of public safety, from the fire service which serves as public educators and provides world class program for juvenile fire-setting prevention. The author also mentions that...