- Editor's quiz: GI snapshot: ANSWER. // Gut;May2008, Vol. 57 Issue 5, p622
The article presents the answer to a quiz concerning the diagnosis of acute abdominal pain.
- Evaluation and management of acute abdominal pain in the emergency department. Macaluso, Christopher R.; McNamara, Robert M. // International Journal of General Medicine;2012 Part 2, Vol. 5, p789
Evaluation of the emergency department patient with acute abdominal pain is sometimes difficult. Various factors can obscure the presentation, delaying or preventing the correct diagnosis, with subsequent adverse patient outcomes. Clinicians must consider multiple diagnoses, especially those...
- Efecto clÃnico de la obesidad en el tratamiento del dolor abdominal en el servicio de urgencias. Lee-Cervantes, Denisse Eugenia; Sánchez-Jiménez, Beatriz Alejandra; Gutiérrez-Grobe, Ylse; Yeverino-Suárez, Pedro; Juárez-Hernández, Eva; Chávez-Tapia, Norberto Carlos // Medicina Interna de Mexico;sep/oct2014, Vol. 30 Issue 5, p546
Background: Obesity represents the main cause of morbidity and mortality worldwide. At the emergency room, the obese patient acquires significance due to the possibility of having different clinical presentation,requiring an increased number of complementary tests and displaying unequal...
- Abdominal Pain in a Girl with Juvenile Dermatomyositis. Stefanski, Juliette C.; Shetty, Avinash K. // Clinical Pediatrics;Sep1998, Vol. 37 Issue 9, p561
Discusses the medical case of an African-American female with pneumatosis intestinalis (PI), a rare condition of unknown etiology characterized by multiple gas-distended cysts in the submucosa of the colon and small intestine. PI as a classic finding of necrotizing enterocolitis in preterm...
- A Medical Mystery. Mahoney, Michael S.; Kahn, Marc // New England Journal of Medicine;09/10/98, Vol. 339 Issue 11, p745
The article provides a photograph of a 20-year-old college student, who has arrived to the United States from overseas; the student is being evaluated for severe abdominal pain.
- Pinpointing abdominal pain. Young, Stephanie // Glamour;Sep93, Vol. 91 Issue 9, p52
Presents a way to pinpoint abdominal pain in terms of abdominal quadrants. Difficulty in tracing sources of pain; Possible sources of pain determined by quadrant location.
- Sustained abdominal discomfort in a 57-year-old woman. Nishiura, Hisayo; Nakase, Hiroshi; Chiba, Tsutomu // Gut;May2010, Vol. 59 Issue 5, p578
A quiz concerning the diagnosis on a 57-year-old woman with abdominal discomfort administered with Chinese herbs is presented.
- When your belly hurts. Lipman, Marvin M. // Consumer Reports on Health;Nov97, Vol. 9 Issue 11, p131
Opinion. Discusses the aspect of belly (stomach) pains focusing on the belly pains experienced by two men in their mid-40s with symptoms of nausea and vomiting. Differentiation of symptoms; Diagnosis of the more serious symptoms; Information on the signs of danger.
- A fatal case of pulmonary anthrax. Severn, M. // British Medical Journal;3/27/1976, Vol. 1 Issue 6012, p748
Examines a fatal case of pulmonary anthrax in Great Britain. Diagnosis of the disease; Occurrence of abdominal pain and dyspnea as the main symptoms; Management and treatment of the disease.