- Pollen Shortcomings. Waser, Nickolas M. // Natural History;Jul84, Vol. 93 Issue 7, p26
When it comes to fertilization, wild flowers in the Rocky Mountains are not always well served by the birds and the bees. There is evidence that pollen deliveries are often insufficient to lead to full seed production.
- Plant a Bumblebee Buffet. Welter, Shelley B. // Fun For Kidz;May/Jun2009, Vol. 8 Issue 3, p12
This article offers a number of tips for children for creating a wildflower garden for bumblebees. It highlights the role of wildflowers in the pollination by bumblebees. It provides instructions for selecting a location to plant wildflowers. It also gives ideas for providing care to...
- Risk assessment for side-effects of neonicotinoids against bumblebees with and without impairing foraging behavior. Mommaerts, Veerle; Reynders, Sofie; Boulet, Jana; Besard, Linde; Sterk, Guido; Smagghe, Guy // Ecotoxicology;Jan2010, Vol. 19 Issue 1, p207
Bombus terrestris bumblebees are important pollinators of wild flowers, and in modern agriculture they are used to guarantee pollination of vegetables and fruits. In the field it is likely that worker bees are exposed to pesticides during foraging. To date, several tests exist to assess lethal...
- Celebrating Trees. Rieff, Susan K. // Wildflower (Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center);Spring2008, Vol. 24 Issue 3, p4
The article reports on the Texas Arboretum of the Wildflower Center as its way of celebrating trees. Texas Arboretum is constructed through the support of the Zachary Foundation and of the Texas Chapter of the International Society for Arboriculture. It focuses on the collection of tree species...
- White. // Mediterranean Wildflowers;2007, p14
The article focuses on flowers that are white in colour. Examples include the caper which is a woody sprawling plant with flowers, orange which has fragrant, pinkish white flowers in small clusters and strawberry tree which is a small shrub with clusters of bell-shaped flowers. It mentions that...
- Syngenta says wildfower mix is low-cost answer. // Horticulture Week;6/27/2014, p35
The article offers information on the wildflower mix, which offers plant growers a low-cost way to help pollinating insects without long-term meadow management, launched by the agricultural company Sygenta in partnership with the Campaign for the Farmed Environment (CFE) and Kings Seeds (NZ) Ltd.
- Mountain Wildflowers of Spain and Oregon. // Earthwatch Institute Journal;Aug2000, Vol. 19 Issue 3, Special section p27
Describes the Earthwatch project which will take place in Spain and Oregon in 2001 to study pollination ecology. Information on the mountain wildflowers of Spain and Oregon; Mission of the teams; Overview of the field conditions.
- Rare Plants and Animals on the Golf Course. // International Turfgrass Bulletin;Jul2005, Issue 229, p20
The article reports on bumblebees and their role in maintaining wild flowers in golf courses. The article describes that Bumblebees are the biggest pollinators of the majority of wild flowers and UK food crops. Without bees, food production would greatly diminish and many of the flowers on the...
- Taming Wildflowers. BAWDEN-DAVIS, JULIE // Wildflower (Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center);Fall2014, Vol. 31 Issue 1, p29
The article provides information in relation to growing or planting native plants and wildflowers in North America. It features Miriam Goldberger, a wildflower grower and the author of the book "Taming Wildflowers: Bringing the Beauty and Splendor of Nature's Blooms into Your Own Backyard."...