BE CAREFUL WHEN DEALT THE HAND OF ADDICTION
- Chlormethiazole Abuse. Gregg, Elizabeth; Akhter, Iftikhar // British Journal of Psychiatry;Jun79, Vol. 134, p627
This report describes 17 cases of chlormethiazole abuse or dependence. These include one case with symptoms and signs of withdrawal and two other similar cases where undoubted dependence was combined with excessive alcohol intake. Seven other patients with alcoholism who indulged in drug-seeking...
- An Exploratory Investigation of Marijuana and Other Drug Careers. Hailstone, Michael // Journal of Psychoactive Drugs;Mar2006, Vol. 38 Issue 1, p65
In-depth interviews and a qualitative methodology are used to examine the drug careers of a nonrandom sample of 31 current or former marijuana smokers. Three user typologies were developed to describe the complex development of marijuana careers over time: Druggies, Weekend Warriors, and...
- Drug and alcohol use at work: A survey of young workers. Gleason, P.M.; Veum, J.R. // Monthly Labor Review;Aug91, Vol. 114 Issue 8, p3
Analyzes data from the National Longitudinal Survey of Youth on drug and alcohol use in the workplace. Data collection method; Common characteristics of drug and alcohol users at work; Results and findings from the research.
- this is how we did it…. // Employers Law;Nov2007, p25
The article offers information on the drug and alcohol policy of petrol company Shell. The policy ensures that the workplace is free from the effects of what is commonly called substance abuse. The policy applies to all, but with particular emphasis on those who work at or visit safety-sensitive...
- Alleviating a Drug Scourge. Selle, Robert // World & I;Apr2005, Vol. 20 Issue 4, pN.PAG
Offers observation on alcohol abuse in the U.S. List of drugs compared with alcohol; Societal plagues that pale in comparison to alcohol abuse when it comes to the economic costs; Genetic component to alcoholism and problem drinking; Impact of alcohol consumption on minority communities.
- American Indian alcoholism: program for treatment. Locklear, Herbert H. // Social Work;May77, Vol. 22 Issue 3, p202
The article presents information on a treatment program for alcoholism among American Indians in Baltimore, Maryland. The unique relationships, based on treaties, that Indians have had with federal, state, and local governments and agencies have themselves fostered this alienation. Social...
- Isopropyl alcohol abuse. // Reactions Weekly;1/31/2009, Issue 1237, p15
The article describes the case of a 46-year-old man with a history of chronic alcoholism who became unconscious after ingesting isopropyl alcohol as a substance of abuse. The patient intentionally ingested an unknown quantity of hand sanitiser and mouthwash containing an alcohol, for the purpose...
- Ask Jack. Jack // Gay Times (09506101);Oct2009, Issue 373, p122
The article presents questions and answers related to alcohol and drug use, relationships, and sex.
- DETERMINANTS OF RECENT SUBSTANCE ABUSE AMONG JAIL INMATES REFERRED FOR TREATMENT. Peters, Roger H.; Schonfeld, Lawrence // Journal of Drug Issues;Winter93, Vol. 23 Issue 1, p101
Significant numbers of new arrestees to jail have a history of drug or alcohol use. Many of these individuals have experienced multiple relapses, which tend to accelerate the level of criminal behavior and to increase the likelihood of arrest and incarceration. The present study examines the...