- Indigenous Styles and the Bungalow. // American Houses: A Field Guild to the Architecture of the Home;2004, p339
The article presents information on some indigenous architectural designs that emerged during the 19th century. The new styles emphasized the horizontal, with low rooflines and deep overhangs, resulting in a uniquely American silhouette on the skyline. The houses were finished largely in natural...
- embracing our own independence. Kontos, G. Jason // Classic American Homes;Jul2001, Vol. 27 Issue 3, p4
Introduces articles on architecture and design, which highlight the evolution of the United States, not only from its multifaceted roots, but also how the spirit of independence it was based on prospers and grows. Featured homes; Inspirations behind the architectural designs of the homes.
- One Site, Three Schemes. Schmertz, Mildred F. // Architectural Digest;Aug2003, Vol. 60 Issue 8, p72
Focuses on three architectural designs for a property in Westchester County, New York. Reasons for creating three different designs for the same plot; Similarity between the three designs.
- Editor's Notes. F., M. S. // Design Quarterly;1987, Issue 138, p1
The article discusses various reports published within the issue including one by Gwendolyn Wright analyzing architectural style, cultural and political reality, another one by Lois Craig looking at housing designs in the U.S., and by Michael Sorkin about dwelling machines.
- Tech talk. Russell, James S. // Architectural Record;Jun1999, Vol. 187 Issue 6, p56
Highlights the symposium `Architecture with Technology: A New Synthesis,' at the Illinois Institute of Technology (IIT) in Chicago, Illinois. Structural engineer with Buro Happold, Peter Heppel's demonstration of a broadcast tower thatw ould rotate with the breeze; Cellular membrane structures...
- Drawing: The Creative Link. Gruzdys, Sophia A. // Architectural Record;Jan2002, Vol. 190 Issue 1, p64
Focuses on the incorporation of digital technology into the architectural process in the United States. Description of innovative architects; Importance of drawing in the architectural design; Strategies of drawing.
- Briefs. // Architectural Record;May1994, Vol. 182 Issue 5, p19
Reports on developments in architectural design. 1994 Architecture Firm Award to Bohlin Cywinski Jackson; Planned construction of a Blockbuster Park near the Everglades, Florida; Management changes; Revision of the `Architect Overseas Practice Standards'; Obituaries.
- SPEAKING OUT. Tate, Jerry // Building Design;6/7/2013, Issue 2064, p7
The author discusses the benefit of using the method of "open book" in the architectural design process, saying that the method offers a balance opinion between horticulturists, biologists, operational staff, and marketing experts.
- Extreme Academic Architecture. // American Houses: A Field Guild to the Architecture of the Home;2004, p307
The article presents information on new architectural styles that resulted from economic growth in the U.S. in the 19th century. European historical traditions provided the inspiration for extravagant architectural designs. Information on the American Renaissance Style and the Chateauesque Style...